Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Timing Violation after load added in Design Compiler report

Status
Not open for further replies.

coshy

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All.

I've been trying to study about Design Compiler.
And I've done report with SDC TCL as the below
but one Timing Problem encounters when I add "set_load [expr [load_of $lib_name/an02d0/A1] * 15] [all_outputs]"
I want to know how to resolve this problem in real field if they add load but it makes Violation of Timing?

Code:
set lib_name xxxxxx
current_design TOP

## Reset all constraints
reset_design

## Create clock object and set uncertainty
create_clock -period 2 [get_ports Clk]
set_clock_uncertainty 0.2 [get_clocks Clk]

## Set constraints on input ports
suppress_message UID-401
set_driving_cell -library $lib_name -lib_cell sdcfq1 [remove_from_collection [all_inputs] [get_ports Clk]]
set_input_delay 0.1 -max -clock Clk [remove_from_collection [all_inputs] [get_ports Clk]]
set_input_delay 1.2 -max -clock Clk [get_ports Neg_Flag]

## Set constraints on output ports
set_output_delay 1 -max -clock Clk [all_outputs]
set_load [expr [load_of $lib_name/an02d0/A1] * 15] [all_outputs]

then I 've got a report as the below

Code:
 Startpoint: Neg_Flag (input port clocked by Clk)
  Endpoint: I_COUNT/PCint_reg[2]
            (rising edge-triggered flip-flop clocked by Clk)
  Path Group: Clk
  Path Type: max

Point                                    Incr       Path
  -----------------------------------------------------------
  clock Clk (rise edge)                    0.00       0.00
  clock network delay (ideal)              0.00       0.00
  input external delay                     1.20       1.20 r
  Neg_Flag (in)                            0.06       1.26 r
  U157/ZN (nd02d1)                         0.12 *     1.38 f
  U164/ZN (nd02d2)                         0.09 *     1.47 r
  U180/ZN (invbd2)                         0.05 *     1.52 f
  U118/ZN (nd02d2)                         0.06 *     1.57 r
  U137/ZN (invbd4)                         0.06 *     1.64 f
  U88/ZN (nd02d1)                          0.04 *     1.68 r
  U178/ZN (nd03d0)                         0.10 *     1.78 f
  I_COUNT/PCint_reg[2]/D (dfnrq4)          0.00 *     1.78 f
  data arrival time                                   1.78

clock Clk (rise edge)                    2.00       2.00
  clock network delay (ideal)              0.00       2.00
  clock uncertainty                       -0.20       1.80
  I_COUNT/PCint_reg[2]/CP (dfnrq4)         0.00       1.80 r
  library setup time                      -0.08       1.72
  data required time                                  1.72
  data required time                                  1.72
  data arrival time                                  -1.78
  slack (VIOLATED)                                   -0.06

if I am reading this right, the violation is on a INPUT->FLOP path. load makes no difference in this scenario. input delay does.

if I am reading this right, the violation is on a INPUT->FLOP path. load makes no difference in this scenario. input delay does.

When I check the timing without set_load [expr [load_of $lib_name/an02d0/A1] * 15] [all_outputs], there is no any violation issue.
But I add set_load [expr [load_of $lib_name/an02d0/A1] * 15] [all_outputs] then it makes the timing violation.

I I think set_load affects to output path timing. because if a big load added to output path, then output_delay value also corresponding to it. If I wrong, Please correct me.

And if input_delay causes the timing violation, then how to fix it in real field?

Last edited:

these sdc commands are about setting the environment to which your chip will interface to. I cannot tell you what is the right value for input_delay because I don't know your scenario. In a big chip design with lots of engineers, this is typically handled at top level by a senior engineer. In academic designs, these are typically ignored and only the clock frequency is set.

still, either way, your explanation of the load increase creating a violation doesn't make sense. load has no effect on the path you showed in your first post.

these sdc commands are about setting the environment to which your chip will interface to. I cannot tell you what is the right value for input_delay because I don't know your scenario. In a big chip design with lots of engineers, this is typically handled at top level by a senior engineer. In academic designs, these are typically ignored and only the clock frequency is set.

still, either way, your explanation of the load increase creating a violation doesn't make sense. load has no effect on the path you showed in your first post.
I think it makes sense. Because according to increase load value, previous F/F need to send more fast to meet the timing constraint so violation started in there.
this is my assuming.

there is no previous flip flop, your path is input->flop. output load does not apply to it, this path does not reach any output.

there is no previous flip flop, your path is input->flop. output load does not apply to it, this path does not reach any output.
1.PNG

Yes You are right , this is the path what you said INPUT->FLOP. Let me check it again without set_load.

1.PNG

I can see the difference 0.06 -> 0.08 this makes the violation.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back