Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Having trouble making a Xenon Ignitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pranaych

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We are constructing a Ignitor for a 250W Xenon arc Lamp and basically we have made all the components except the Bobina or coil as shown in the figure CKt 1.

In the original Ignitor this Bobina is made of a stone like semiconducting materail which they have showm as coil Bobina ,

Can anyopne suggest what this Bobina coil is and what material it is made of.I can post picture of Bobina coil if required.

Attachments

• Cir 1.pdf
    333.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Cir 2.pdf
    257.2 KB · Views: 76

Semiconductor? No way. Probably ferrite.

Definitely a transformer, so likely ferromagnetic (ferrite) material, as etmabreu suggested.

The circuit works by providing a constant DC voltage from the rectifier (bottom of page 1). The transformer circuit at the top left acts as a voltage accumulator. Once the voltage on the paralleled caps is sufficiently high, the spark gap (SG) conducts and sends a current pulse into the "bobina" coil. This center-tapped coil/transformer causes a larger voltage to appear across the lamp terminals, which is the high-voltage pulse needed to make the xenon breakdown and start to arc.

Definitely a transformer, so likely ferromagnetic (ferrite) material, as etmabreu suggested.

The circuit works by providing a constant DC voltage from the rectifier (bottom of page 1). The transformer circuit at the top left acts as a voltage accumulator. Once the voltage on the paralleled caps is sufficiently high, the spark gap (SG) conducts and sends a current pulse into the "bobina" coil. This center-tapped coil/transformer causes a larger voltage to appear across the lamp terminals, which is the high-voltage pulse needed to make the xenon breakdown and start to arc.

Thanks a lot but what kind of ferrite shall look like a stone with two ends polished like a nickel plated metal.Can you suggest me something.

Thanks a lot but what kind of ferrite shall look like a stone with two ends polished like a nickel plated metal.Can you suggest me something.

No idea. I'd go look up some other Xenon arc lamp circuits and see what kind of hardware they use for the HV transformer.

Ok i am also trying to find out the ferrite type but till date no luck.Hope you can get some information.

Material is Mn-Zn for Xenon trafo balast core. Shape and size should be according needed power.
I have got the ferrite but it dosent work without the coating on the top and we are unable to find what kind of coating is that.Kindly share ome veiws about it.

There is a silver coating on both the ends of the ferrite rod and if we peel this coating off it dosent works.

I didnt hear for that. I already make several xeno without problem and of course without that special coating. You can search Internet and look manufacturers designs and you can find lots of things and different ways how to do it.

I didnt hear for that. I already make several xeno without problem and of course without that special coating. You can search Internet and look manufacturers designs and you can find lots of things and different ways how to do it.
Can you suggest me something,I have a marine application thats why I am so particular about its reliability as I want to do only that design which works trouble free!!

Please suggest me suitable material of the Bobina ,its not a ferrite core,its something else.Please suggest.

I am enclosing the pic of the Possible ferrite with coating,two of these with a small very thin film in between is Bobina,kindly suggest me what material is this and what kind of coating is this..

This looks like a piezoelectric transducer to me. Can you post a picture of the complete "bobina", with the coils in place around the "core"?

This looks like a piezoelectric transducer to me. Can you post a picture of the complete "bobina", with the coils in place around the "core"?

Thiese are the pictures,basically this Bobina coil is this small plate as shown sandwithched between the two of ferrites like these.

The schematic shows the "bobina" as though it were a coil or transformer. I'm not sure I can see the coil. It looks like you have a triangular piece of metal with a short piece of coaxial cable connected to it. But, there is also something white between the cable and the triangular piece. What is the white thing? Can you get a close-up photo?

An important test you can perform is this; see if the material of the disk is magnetic. If it isn't, then it isn't ferrite.

I've attached a couple of pictures of a piezoelectric ultrasonic transducer. You'll notice how much it looks like what you have. The silver coating on the flat surfaces is an electrode. I've soldered a couple of wires to mine.

- - - Updated - - -

I notice that the schematic shows a couple of 20 kilovolt capacitors; can you post a picture of those capacitors?

Attachments

• P1000756.JPG
    P1000756.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 73
  • P1000757.JPG
    P1000757.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 58

It appears that the pictures corresponding to
the SG piece instead of CH.
Could you verify this? since if the lamp is
250W CH size should be fairly large due to
the diameter of the winding wire.