Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

making a high speed tachometer

abbaszandilak

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi everyone. i want to make a tachometer with arduino mega. my main approach is using IR receiver and transmitter to capture the radial compressor blades' movement and I'm using BRQM100-DDTA sensor but I have some troubles like the sensor malfunctioning at high speeds.do you have any suggestions or idea about this?can I use the simple IR sensor and transmitters .i have to say that my compressor numinal speed is about 90K rpm.
thank you all
thank you edaboard

If you are interrupting an IR light beam with the compressor blades, the frequency will be 90K * (number of blades) so it could be very fast. How many blades are there?

The response time of that sensor is quoted as <1mS which is only 1,000 interruptions per second. Far too slow!

If the blades are ferrous metal, it might be possible to use a reluctance sensor, otherwise a far faster optical sensor will be needed.

Brian.

If you are interrupting an IR light beam with the compressor blades, the frequency will be 90K * (number of blades) so it could be very fast. How many blades are there?

The response time of that sensor is quoted as <1mS which is only 1,000 interruptions per second. Far too slow!

If the blades are ferrous metal, it might be possible to use a reluctance sensor, otherwise a far faster optical sensor will be needed.

Brian.
thank you sir for your reply. the number of blades or 7 but I paint them 5 black and 2 silver to reflect the light.the reluctance sensor that you mentioned can operate at this speed?

Hi,

what this compressor that runs with 90k RPM?
Where is a link to the datasheet(s)?
What does "malfunction" exactly mean?

the frequency will be 90K * (number of blades) so it could be very fast. How many blades are there?
Frequency usually is measured in 1/second where rotation is in 1/minute.

Klaus

BRQM100-DDTA specs:
Sensing typeDiffuse reflective type
Sensing distance100mm
Sensing targetOpaque, Translucent material
Light sourceInfrared LED(850nm)
Response timeMax. 1ms

1. Target distance : TBD , Closer is better for reflectance.
  2. Target surface: 2 silver 5 black paint.
  3. - Black may be reflective at 850 nm, common issue, degraded SNR,
  4. - SNR may be improved with carbon type surface for IR
  5. Target speed: 90k RPM = 1500 Hz, if 2 blades act as 1,
  6. - Are 3 silver blades better?.
  7. - if 1 ms response time = T , typically, fmax = 0.35 /T = 350 Hz . Cutoff or intermittent?)
  8. Hysteresis: 20% at 100 mm
  9. - What does target signal look like ? ( Do you have a scope? )
  10. In order to create a Tach at f 1500 [Hz] 1 shot circuit must use pulse < 650 us
  11. - What pulse width is used in tachometer ? Or is it a digital counter?

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: