Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sizing barrier diode when making dual supply from two single supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

floppy32

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I will make a +/-15V supply for a device which requires +/-15V 3A power.
For that I will use two of this supply(their output is not DC grounded so it can be done) and two barrier diodes and wire as follows:

1670577238482.png

But how can I properly size the Schottky diodes in my case? Would two 1N5822 40V 3A Schottky suffice?

Reverse protection diodes may be necessary, if the output is loaded between +15 and -15 node and the PSUs are not starting simultaneously. Most switching regulators will short applied reverse voltage by their output rectifier, D1 and D2 would be redundant. But if you are not sure about the specific PSU, 1N5822 will well serve the purpose.

Necessity of reverse protection diodes is more often observed with linear regulators. Some types are held in shutdown if started with an injected reverse current. I had the problem with standard 7812 regulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.