Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which simulation tool is better, VCS 7.0 or NC-Verilog 5.4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexWan

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
VCS7.0 VS. NC-Verilog5.4

hi all,

Did you compare the two simulation tools? What's the result?
And Why?

I think NC is faster than VCS, but my friend tell me he has compared those tools. And VCS is faster! I am so confused.

Thanks

VCS7.0 VS. NC-Verilog5.4

latest version of vcs is 7.1.2 and 7.2 is releasing soon. if i'm not wrong when nc-verilog 5.4 was released, the vcs version then was 7.1.1. you can't really benchmark one latest version with an outdated version.

in rtl simulation, i should say there not much different between the two. but in gate level simulation, nc-verilog is still ahead of vcs.

Re: VCS7.0 VS. NC-Verilog5.4

I think that the two simulator are all good.But if you want to use other synopsys tools,you do beteer to select VCS.

VCS7.0 VS. NC-Verilog5.4

I heard vcs is faster than nc, but nc is more stable & bugless.
Maybe nc had more vendor support also.

I think tools speed is not most important , both function and easy to use are most important.

VCS7.0 VS. NC-Verilog5.4

NC-Verilog and VCS all support the Native Compiled Code Simulation.
But I know VCS also support the implement of interrupt blocks to execute continuous assignments. This will add the run-time.

Why is the VCS faster??

vcs doest support TCL, I cant live without TCL,
though I did not compare them, but I think VCS is do more optimize for speed,

VCS7.0 VS. NC-Verilog5.4

Nc-verilog is easy to use!!!

VCS is not be controlled easily!

The speed of them is almost same.

If you use Synopsys DC, the only choice for simulator is VCS.
For RTL debugging, I think NC is better than VCS. But Debussy is a good plus for VCS. The RTL simulation performance of the two if almost the same.

maxsnail said:
Hi,
VCS 7.2 - the latest release does support a new unified TCL interface. See the release notes for more.

HTH,
Ajeetha
http://www.noveldv.com

VCS7.0 VS. NC-Verilog5.4

Hi,
Now most designer are using NC of Candece for their designs. Some of those engineers also use VCS for the same projects.

Why to use two or more simulators?

Hi,
From the performance view, I think NC-Verilog should be a good choice. It does not matter which synthesizer you would use.
Best regards,
Paul

speed of rlt simulation tools depends on you setting of tools,such as ,whether you use pli ,and some switch is on or off.

VCS7.0 VS. NC-Verilog5.4

In rtl simulation, there not much different between the VCS and the NC_verilog . in gate level simulation, nc-verilog is still ahead of vcs a little.
If you select the synopsys design flow, VCS is a good selection, Cds flow, than NC is the best

NC-verilog is a cycle-driven based simulator, so if your design is a totally synchronous logic then your performace against VCS will be obtained.

Thomson said:
NC-verilog is a cycle-driven based simulator, so if your design is a totally synchronous logic then your performace against VCS will be obtained.
Well that's certainly not true. For instance one can perfectly simulate:

initial
begin
#10 a = 1;
#2 a = 0;
end

in NC/VCS/MTI - which means all have event driven engines. What's "cycle simulatable" may be optimized via a cycle driven engine internally in an implementation. Given that both VCS & NC are neck-2-neck, I presume both have such intelligence inbuilt.

Aji

VCS7.0 VS. NC-Verilog5.4

Hi, Thomson,

aji_vlsi is right.

NC and VCS all support the Event-driven and Cycle-base simultaion. You can find these feature in their UG.

Good Luck

mmazio said:
If you use Synopsys DC, the only choice for simulator is VCS.
For RTL debugging, I think NC is better than VCS. But Debussy is a good plus for VCS. The RTL simulation performance of the two if almost the same.

If use DC, the VCS becomes the only choice?
Really?

maxsnail said:

nc-verilog supports good TCL interface....

i have successfully use TCL interface of NC to do simulation flow control and some simple result check.

If you are TCL user , i think you will like NC.

:)

repac said:
maxsnail said:

nc-verilog supports good TCL interface....

i have successfully use TCL interface of NC to do simulation flow control and some simple result check.

If you are TCL user , i think you will like NC.

:)

Hi,
VCS starting with 7.2 has a Unified TCL interface for HDLs, SystemC, SystemVerilog etc. In the past I have used NC's TCL interface and liked it, and now I see very similar features in VCS too.
Sri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back