Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What to do if post layout timing not matching to synthesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven852

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I wonder what to do if the post layout timing analysis not matching to the synthesis results. The synthesis results met all the timings but the post layout timing doesn't meet. Besides solving all conjestion problems, there seems no valid means on the layout side. What else can I do?

Thanks

Refloorplan, even resynthesis.

Re: What to do if post layout timing not matching to synthes

Pre-route and post-route will check differently. synthsis meet doesn't mean meet in post-route. some path only be checked in Post-route, unless you modify some default option when synthsis. ideal clock and CTS are also differently.

It's pretty common to have synthesis pass while failing on post layout timing.

Re-synthesis with higher margin, work with backend team by giving them more information on the floorplan, ....

re-route manually,
re-synthesis with enough margin,
replace some hi-Vt cell with low-Vt cells
remove some secondary-level power-gating logic
adjust floorplan, change congestion target
change area target.
even considering re-coding the rtl ...

As stevepre said, it is common to get timing violation in the Post layout stage,

is that violation value is too big to fix at the Layout stage,

If so u can fix it and closure the timing,

Other wise u have to go back to placement stage or synthesis stage to fix those violation and then redo the layout again for better timing

I agree with what stevepre and au_sun said and this is what we've practised. But one thing I am not sure: after many tries, how to tell that the P&R tool cannot make it so that refloorplanning, resynthesis or re-coding is needed. I guess I lack experience to make judgement here but only to try more possibilities.

for setup time violation, your can refloorplan or resynthesis or skew

clock edge intentionally to generate some useful skew to extend

clock cycle in timing critical path. for hold time violation, you can add

delay cell in problem path to eliminate the problem.

best regards

steven852 said:
I wonder what to do if the post layout timing analysis not matching to the synthesis results. The synthesis results met all the timings but the post layout timing doesn't meet. Besides solving all conjestion problems, there seems no valid means on the layout side. What else can I do?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back