Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the future for CMOS Analog IC Designers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ya, indeed rfic is very hot topic, also, the sigma delta related application
is also hot.

if you check Thomas Lee's lab at SMIRC at Stanford, he is currently working on interfacing silicon with biology, in other words to sense your blood and read your DNA.

Scary, don't you think ?

wow!!!! scary but interesting!!!!!

silicon technology has evolved to a great level as compared to what it was when it started. and people were predicting that one day this will be combined with biology. and this has to happen one day. its just a matter of time. silicon technology is still developing. lets see what is going to happen

in order not to be fired,.....patience,better,.....

i think the analog designer , should not attach himself to a certain technology
coz the alanlog concepts are a live , but technologies growing very fast

so u must be uptodate or update ur self with the new technologies
a very interesting technology GaAs and MMIC , there r very few people work with

The WCDMA supporting the multimedia services may be the last desires of consumers, and the DMB/DAB supporting the portable multimedia broadcating may be the same one in the broadcasting industry.

There's no newer killer applications, so the role of analog engineers in wireless industy will be diminished. The remaining work will be the contents related software jobs of that services and a few hardware revision jobs.

It's my only private opinion (pessimistic --).
I want to know the other analog/RF engineers' opinion about future killer applications.

Best Regards.

in rfic/mmic people are pushing cmos and sige technologies higher and higher in frequency, because, i think there is really nothing else to do ! they are doing 60GHz Wireless LAN with capability of doing 1gb/s in data transfer and trying to do this in cmos and sige pushing the technolgy as high as it can go.

people already tried to do this with gaas phemt and gaas hbt as well as InP but of course, they are too expensive.

this is all for mm-wave systems of course.

lower in frequency, cmos in particular just trying to lower costs and integrate as much as you can.
multi band is the hot issue right now and using as many frequencies as you can.

transmitter design is also hot right now, and all digital solutions, doing all the rf processing not using mixers and filters, but using digital filters and the ADC/DAC. silicon technologies and tools are finally good enough to make this a reality, at least in the lab.

These are two prenstation slides, one speaker is Paul Gray who was the author
of Analysis and design of analog integrated circuit and the director of college of
Engineering in UC Berkeley. The other one is the distinguished professor of UCB.

Here are some guides for analog designer to the furture.

Don't worry. Be happy.

IF you are intrested in bio related electronics, I upload the book of
bioinstrumentation here.
h**p://
It's in the forum of General Interest E-Books, Specifications & Articles.

I think with the speed of gadgets keep on increasing, only analog solution is able to break these speed barrier. Digital Synthesis tools just won't able to do this.

In future, when digital synthesis tools become better and easier to use, digital designers will soon be replaced by computer programmers. Not analog designer, every single design is unique and some said analog is an art!

I think with the Bush election (4 more years) the future is bright for microelectrinics in army :sm27:

Mainly III-V, II-VI, sensor image, SiGe , ...

No way.

Army is using CMOS now to push up to >60GHz (Berkeley, UCLA).

CMOS is cheaper, even the military needs that.

Get to know your microwave design concepts everyone !

Dear Puppet1

The frequency (ft) you can achive with RFCMOS technology = ft of SiGe BiCMOS of 1-2 older generation.

consequence: price is much lower for SiGe.

Other things to be taken into account:
Noise, reliability performances, breakdown voltages, ...

Even today, for very fhigh frequency, you need III-V devices!

Regards,
Dini

so why all the work in CMOS ?

The advantages of CMOS is well known for low frequency. < 1G
The advantages of SiGe BiCMOS is well known at high frequency. > 10G to 200GHz
III-V for higher than 100 GHz.

Between these it depends on the process performances and cost.
for example for Bluethooth application RFCMOS is a good alternative, but for W-lan / UMTS (noise criteria is very severe) SiGe BiCMOS and even III-V seem to be better .

The goal of all RF works on CMOS is to be able to put on the same chip (SOC) the RF part and memories. this can be achieved for bluethooth indeed.

But for the moment and perhaps for coming 10-20 years, we have to live with BiCMOS technologies for higher frequency applications.

Remind that the frequency range of applications is still growing. Meaning that III-V materials are still usefull!

(According to Semico all SiGe and III-V markets would grow by more than 40% in two next years!)

Regards

I think there will be some new technical materials for the future.

with rapid develop in process technology, the furture for designer is not pursuit for speed but function integration. if u only concern speed, other problems will arise, such as power.

so if system integration is what some suggest will be the future of analog design, then
what is the future of system integration ?

system on a chip looks like it won't work since analog/rf and digital can't be put on the same die for the time being, so people are going back to multi chip solutions or system in a package.

anybody have opinion on the future of system integration ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back