Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is RMW (Read Modified Write)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guru59

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pic16f87 read modify write

Can anyone explain in detail or any paper what is RMW ?

I tried to search in google ,but i could not find it.

Thanks

rmw read modify write

Read modify write is atomic operation which in first step read contents from a memory location, in second update it and finally re-write to the same location. No interrupt can stop of the process execution.
Also I found similar explanation in Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Read-modify-write
Enjoy

read-modify-write rmw

RMW can be explained with respect to its use.

1. RMW can be an instruction in some protocols. In such case, this has to be atomic (as exlained in the above post).

2. RMW is the process of Error correction in the ECC based designs. When data is read from a memory with ECC support, first data is read and its ECC is computed and compared with the read ECC; if this matches pass the read data to the user, if this does not match, then we have to correct (if possible) and write the data back to memory while giving the corrected data to the user.

what is rmw

Supplementery answer to above replys:
Look at the following senario:
supose we have 2 process which each one increment common variable, for example CV.
for this reason if process 1 going to increment CV, first it read CV then increment its value but if before writing new value interrupt happen and control variable give to process 2.
process 2 do its task and read CV and incremet its value.
then control give to process 1, and process 1 write its old computed value to CV!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back