Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TIP122 Heating Very Much, Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

losturcos

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I have a 24VDC regulation circuit which converts 60VDC input to 24 VDC by using TIP122 and 7824.
The voltage on the TIP122 transistor is about 25 Volts and the current passing over the transistor
is about 70-80 miliampertes generally.
Actually this is a part of a circuit. My problem is TIP122 is heating very much without heatsink.
Even with heatsink(not a very big one), it is heating, but it can be touched by hand. Is this normal?
Thank you.

With the TIP122 as an external pass transistor, it is dropping 60-24 = 36 volts Vce.

At 80mA that gives a power dissipation of 2.88W, plus a little bit for the base current and Vbe.

Yes, it will get quite warm dissipating that amount, that's normal. Choose a heatsink to keep it comfortably touchable, as it sounds like you have.

Last edited:
Ahhh... the TIP122 is used as a pre-regulator to drop the voltage to the 7824. In that case...

With the base at 37V (24V+13V zeners), the emitter will be at about 35.8V, so the TIP122 is dropping 24.2V (now the 25 volts you mentioned makes sense to me).

So, it will be dissipating about 2W - still enough to make it quite warm, as you have experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.