Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is this symbol?

macdonaldtomw

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What kind of amplifier is this? Why is it drawn with two non-inverting inputs, and why is its output connected directly to one of its non-inverting inputs?

This is from the TI 25148 datasheet

1701662856118.png

gm gain specification indicates an OTA amplifier type. It's often used in control amplifiers of power supplies. See e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_transconductance_amplifier

Function of two non-inverting inputs needs explation, guess they are implementing a kind of min() funtion, soft start is overridng VREF.

Thanks!

Looks like perhaps the non-inverting input that is connected to the amplifier output is the one that is providing the input bias current that controls the aplifiers' transconductance. The datasheet states that the amplifier has a constant transconductance so maybe that is achived by tying the input bias pin to the output... not sure.

Seems like a floor + demand kind of setup. The text features may
be corrupted by the fine folks in MarCom (marketing "communcations").
The "connection" to soft start that is shown as a short may in fact be
multiple branches, not a short, "obscured for clarity". Heh.

I know in my POL chip designs I always found it necessary to clamp
the error amp input -and- output to flatten any early "activity" while
power is ramping. UVLO-> SS -> Error -> PW.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: