Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Q about number of vias on a QFN-24 footprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatman9

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
So I used altium's footprint wizard to make the footprint given here: **broken link removed**

This is my first time making a footprint and I was wondering if the number of vias matters?

the part is: https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/SMSC/LAN8720.pdf
my footprint is attached

also accepting advice on anything you think I may have messed up or need to know when making footprints

Attachments

• qfn24.png
    qfn24.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

The only reason for those vias would be for thermal conduction; does that device have a metal pad on the bottom? If not, I don't think those vias are going to do much for you. There are some guidlines out there about thermal vias; often the manufacturer will have recommendations. You need to know the parameters of your PCB, e.g., #planes, material, ambient temp, etc.

You should be following the PCB layout guidelines from the manufacturer **broken link removed**

That said, while they say "use as many vias as will practically fit ..." their examples do no such thing!

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back