Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Updating all footprints in Altium from footprints library without displacing components on PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighTechPower

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys. I'm designing a simple 2 layers PCB. I have routed the board. Now due to some issues & to make sure that PCB is updated with latest changes done in footprint library, I used the command 'Update PCB with All' and though it updated, a new issue rise up. I mean it displaced some components from their current routed locations. Any idea how to update PCB with all footprints and still avoid displacing the components from their current locations?

Actually I was performing a procedure given in link Making two assembly layers to define two assembly layers, top & bottom and this happened. you can watch this link from 21:30 onwards up to 25:50.

Last edited:

Updating library will not change placement position, except component origin was changed in the library.
Yes I changed the origin of some footprints from center position to pin 1 once (I don't remember exactly for which footprints I did that). But now how to tackle the issue if I don't revoke the origin to earlier state.

I updated components origin (from center to pin 1) in library from another project and then replaced footprint library from that project to the current project, otherwise there was no change done in that as both libraries were identical.

However, I remember that then I "Updated PCB with All" footprints before routing the board and this displacement issue should not be appeared.

Or, is there some other efficient way to make two assembly layers, top & bottom without displacing components?

Yet another relevant question that can PCB manufacturers distinguish in top & bottom side of assembly if I keep single assembly file in case the mentioned issue is not resolved?

Last edited:

Thank you FvM & barry, I reset the origins & issue solved for most of footprints, however as some components with same footprints had references at pin 1 and some at origin so I had the only choice to readjust others manually.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back