newbie101

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
klopfenstein taper

Hi All,

R.W. Klopfenstein, “A Transmission Line Taper of Improved Design”, Proc. IRE, Vol.44, pp.31-35, 1956.

In the January 1956 Proceedings of the IRE, R. W. Klopfenstein presented equations which can be used to design transmission line tapers. "...the Dolph-Tchebycheff taper is optimum in the sense that it has minimum reflection coefficient magnitude in the passband for a specified length of taper". One drawback of the Klopenstein taper is that an impedance discontinuity or step occurs at the ends of the taper.

R.P. Hecken, “A Near-Optium Matching Section Without Discontinuities”, IEEE, Vol MTT-20, pp 734-739, 1972.

In the November 1972 Transactions of the MTT, R. P. Hecken modified the Klopfenstein methodology to eliminate the impedance discontinuities. This "near-optimum" taper is only slightly longer than the Klopfenstein taper.

Ok I copied the descriptions from a webpage...

What I'm trying to say here is-> both these designs were done a long time ago!! (1970 & 1950)

Is there any improvements, since then. If you know of a paper the gives a better taper profile, please upload or at least post the paper title.

regards,
newbie101

hecken taper

This very interesting, but I think the theories in 1970& 1950 already very mature

taper matching

take a look at this:
**broken link removed**

If they use it at National Radio Astronomy Observatory...

I'm also trying to use it with 4 stacked helix

Ciao

Status
Not open for further replies.