Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Slug tuning impedance matching

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadnounyah

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a work I gotta do on finding the range of values on the Smith chart for matching a circuit using the slug tuning and honestly I don't even know where to start, I would like to use ADS for this. Info on such a tuning method is really scarce. Can anyone help me with a schematic setup or a reading resource for setup information?, I would be very happy. Thank you

Old-time multi-band radios were built on thru-hole circuit boards. The units contained several tuned slug inductors or tapped inductors. Some were wound on tubes, others installed in cubicle cans big as your thumbnail. I had one radio with instructions telling what section of a band to tune to, and which inductors or capacitors to adjust in sequence in order to get loudest reception.

It's important to use a non-metallic tool to turn the ferrite. Radio Shack carried a set of plastic hex wrenches and screwdrivers, since plastic did not alter frequencies when brought near the inductor. (I remember breaking a couple slugs by using a plain steel screwdriver.)

Link to discussion:

ham.stackexchange.com/questions/14505/is-it-practical-to-use-a-slug-tuned-variable-inductor-in-an-antenna-matcher-aka

jadnounyah

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.