Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Optimum Taper for Impedance Matching

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie101

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
klopfenstein taper

Hi All,

R.W. Klopfenstein, “A Transmission Line Taper of Improved Design”, Proc. IRE, Vol.44, pp.31-35, 1956.

In the January 1956 Proceedings of the IRE, R. W. Klopfenstein presented equations which can be used to design transmission line tapers. "...the Dolph-Tchebycheff taper is optimum in the sense that it has minimum reflection coefficient magnitude in the passband for a specified length of taper". One drawback of the Klopenstein taper is that an impedance discontinuity or step occurs at the ends of the taper.

R.P. Hecken, “A Near-Optium Matching Section Without Discontinuities”, IEEE, Vol MTT-20, pp 734-739, 1972.

In the November 1972 Transactions of the MTT, R. P. Hecken modified the Klopfenstein methodology to eliminate the impedance discontinuities. This "near-optimum" taper is only slightly longer than the Klopfenstein taper.

Ok I copied the descriptions from a webpage...

What I'm trying to say here is-> both these designs were done a long time ago!! (1970 & 1950)

Is there any improvements, since then. If you know of a paper the gives a better taper profile, please upload or at least post the paper title.

regards,
newbie101

hecken taper

This very interesting, but I think the theories in 1970& 1950 already very mature

taper matching

take a look at this:
**broken link removed**

If they use it at National Radio Astronomy Observatory...

I'm also trying to use it with 4 stacked helix

Ciao

Status
Not open for further replies.