Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

more than 8 byte of data in CAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emb4U

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How can we send more than 8 byte of data bytes in CAN data frame.

Dear senior members please help me on this because I want to send more than 8 byte of data in a frame in my project.

There is a new CAN version which allows longer data packets, but it is not supported by most CAN controllers.
What CAN controller do you use and why can't you split the data into 8-byte packets?

CAN frame format is defined in the specification. It says the DATA field can be 0 to 8 bytes long.
In so far the literal answer is: "You can't do that".

To send larger data entities, you have to define an application layer on top of the basic CAN data transmission that combines multiple frames in a meaningful way to represent larger data entities. You can either refer to existing protocol stacks like CANopen or define your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back