Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linking multiple ATX power supplies in series

Status
Not open for further replies.

nzcanadian

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
attach multiple atx power supplies in series

Hi forum. I need a cheap PSU for an audio amplifier I am making. Anything around 50V-60V would be good. The amplifier will draw about 120W at most, therefore requiring 2.5A on average.

I would like your opinion on whether it is possible to link multiple ATX computer PSUs together in series to get this voltage, or if that will cause a massive short circuit situation :!:.

Also, if you have any other ideas for a cheap power supply fitting the above bill, please post!

Cheers guys (girls),
Dan

atx power in series

Wuuuoooowww, what an idea...
Do you know that power supply is not like battery? Link in series will double the voltage. You can get extra power thou by linking multiple PS.

Solution, build a PS that suits your need.

atx cpu multiple

I have found a page saying that linking supplies in this way will cause a short circuit, because the 0V is referenced to the mains power.

Hi,

Do not waste your money on ATX power supplies, find a kit or build a suitable one for your needs.

A weak point in all ATX power supplies, they will try to stabilize to +5V supply on account of the other voltages and the -12, -5 feeds are not powerful like their positive ones. As long as the +5V is not loaded, putting a real load on the +12V will make it fluctuate with the load.

It will not cause short circuit, but it will reset (or turn off) your atx PS. Short circuit only happen when you connect the output lines to gnd. this will cause the atx to shut down also.

Anyway, don't try this at home!

Status
Not open for further replies.