Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Issue with DDR II Memory Write during system bring-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

cks3976

Full Member level 6
Joined
Aug 8, 2007
Messages
346
Helped
84
Reputation
168
Reaction score
81
Trophy points
1,308
Location
India
Activity points
3,324
Dear Group,

I am using Promos DDR -II memory V59C1512164QDJ3I in a design. We have currently made 70 prototype cards with this memory. And a significant number of cards (20%) in this lot are failing during system start-up (that is when the system is in room temperature). System log suggests that the Write to DDR-II have failed.

However after several reboots and when the system becomes bit more warm the card start functioning well (well.. most of the times).

I have tested the Card for possible drop in power or slip in the clock during start-up, but I could not see an issue.

BTW, initial spins of this Card were using DDR from a different make (Nanya) and we never faced any issue. I also tried using a Nanya device on this new set of Cards, but that failed too..

I feel the issue is not in Memory, but in the Card. Can you please suggest me what can be done further to analyze the issue ?

Thanks in advance,
CKS
 

aggpankaj2

Member level 1
Joined
Nov 8, 2005
Messages
40
Helped
3
Reputation
6
Reaction score
3
Trophy points
1,288
Location
Pune, India
Activity points
1,548
1. check with the control signals
2. if there is a power up sequence, check for its timings.
 

cks3976

Full Member level 6
Joined
Aug 8, 2007
Messages
346
Helped
84
Reputation
168
Reaction score
81
Trophy points
1,308
Location
India
Activity points
3,324
Hi,

Control Signals are fine. DDRs are being controlled by a proprietary processor. And as I have mentioned, this failure happens only on 20% of the cards. And remaining 80% of the cards do not have any issue. I checked the timing and that looks fine. And there is no power sequencing requirement..
 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Top