Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inout question in testbench

Status
Not open for further replies.

faust861

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi to all :)
after doing a certain number of exercizes, about a PWM and an Encoder, I'm doing the first example of a simple PLD. In this example, I use two bus from a DSP: an address bus, and a data bus.
The address bus permits, thanks to 2 encoders, to tell the PLD what functionality or module to be active.
The data bus gives and receives data to and from this modules.

The problem I can't solve is this. The data bus has to be bidirectional, so inout type.
My aim is this: when write signals for PWM arrive, this bus has to be read, while when read signal for Encoder arrives the bus has to be write.
This is the code I have written:

Code:
             dat_A <= dat_dsp(13 downto 0) when wr_pwmA = '1' else dat_dsp_reg(13 downto 0);
	dat_B <= dat_dsp(13 downto 0) when wr_pwmB = '1' else dat_dsp_reg(13 downto 0);
	dat_C <= dat_dsp(13 downto 0) when wr_pwmC = '1' else dat_dsp_reg(13 downto 0);
	dat_rit <= dat_dsp(14 downto 0) when rit_pwm = '1' else dat_dsp_reg(14 downto 0);

uscita_bus_dati : process(rd_enc1,rd_enc2)
	begin
		if rd_enc1 = '1' then
			dat_dsp <= 	out_enc1;
		elsif rd_enc2 = '1' then
			dat_dsp <= out_enc2;
		else
			dat_dsp <= (others => 'Z');
		end if;
	end process;

where:
- dat_A, dat_B and so on are data to be given to the PWM
- wr_pwmA and so on are abilitation write signals
- rd_enc1 and rd_enc2 are abilitation read signals
- dat_dsp is the bidirectional port
The first part is about dat_dsp used as input, the second as output.

After this, I tried a testbench. I wanted to simulate this behaviour:
I send on dat_dsp the input for PWM, after I enable the Encoder and, after a certain time, I want to read it, so sending the reading on dat_dsp.
I wrote this:

Code:
dato_PWM : process
	begin
		tdat_dsp <= "00000000000000000000001110000100";
		wait;
end process;

where I force dat_dsp (tdat_dsp is the name in the testbench) at this value at the beginning to make work PWM.
Now the problem is that i think that it works, but Modelsim thinks that I force dat_dsp on this values as I would do with an output so I would see errors in the functionality of the circuit.
So, when it would have to write on data bus, the result is a vector where there are some X for the bits of the encoder exit different from the value I have forced at the beginning!

Is there any other mode, maybe righter, to tell a testbench that I want only to use that value as a signal, instead of force it for all the simulation time?

Thanks and sorry for the very long question

after tb forces the value, the tb can release by tdap_dsp <= (OTHERS=>'z');

to symplify your code, you can also used the x to define value in hexa instead binary format.

the only issue is for vector not multiple of 4.

example:
a define as 9 bit vector.

a<= "101101001";
or
a<= '1'&x"69";

thanks for the advice :)

it works, but I have another question on the issue.
I wrote this:

Code:
dato_PWM : process
	begin
		tdat_dsp <= "00000000000000000000001000000000";
		wait for (50 ns);
		tdat_dsp <= "00000000000000000000001110000100";
		wait for (200 ns);
		tdat_dsp <= (others => 'Z');
		wait;
end process;

So, after time 250 ns, modelsim thinks that it's like tdata_dsp is forced to Z. So, when I enable the writing on the bus it writes, but when I remove the enable, tdat_dsp returns Z...
so it's like tdata_dsp is always a input, except when I enable the write...
I would like that when I enable the write, tdata_dsp changes its status to an output, until it will return an input (if this happens).

Anyway, my doubt is: is this a problem of the testbench, or I will see a similar behaviour even in real?

thank you :)

eh, sorry I did not follow you, in your text, i didn't know whose drives or not.. or wante to drive the tdat_dsp or tdata_dsp ?

sorry, maybe I wasn't so clear :)
where I wrote tdata_dsp I mistaked...I wanted to say tdat_dsp :)

the aim is this:
I want to simulate how a PWM and an Encoder work.
In the case of PWM, on the data bus (tdat_dsp) arrives a data that tells the PWM what velocity it must have. So, in that case tdat_bus is an input.
After this exigency, the data bus goes to Z state.
This is what the part of testbench that I wrote does. (don't worry for the fact that there are 2 inputs, it's a need of my own pwm).

Then, the Encoder starts to work (with a enable signal) and, when a read signal arrive, he wants to write on the data bus its data. So, in that case tdata_bus would be an output.

But after the during of the read signal, the encoder's data is no longer on the bus, that returns to Z.
Yesterday I asked how to take this data forever, or until a new data or a change or direction (for the pin to transform another time in a input, for example), like the bus would be an output.

But this morning, talking with a collegue, he said me that this is reasonable, because the data bus must be ready for a new data (of input or output) and until that event it must be in Z state.
So, when used like an output, it must be read during the time of read signal.

thank you for the attention :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back