Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Information on floating point ALU architectures

Status
Not open for further replies.

elecs_gene

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi guys
can u give some information on floating point ALU architectures??anything in relevance to floating point ALU would help..

with regards

FLOATING POINT ALU

Before starting with architecture, you should checkout IEEE 754 spec on floating point computation. **broken link removed**

I guess a freecode is available on opencores

Re: FLOATING POINT ALU

hi,
if you want to do fpu, decide which type you want, risc/cisc. if you want to risc, then you just focus on floating point add/sub/mul/divide, or maybe reciporcal or squar root.
but if you want cisc just like 80387, you have to learn more , for example , sin, cos, tan, arc tan, etc.
I think floating point arithmetic is not easy , you can check IEEE paper , there are hundreds on it.
best regards

Re: FLOATING POINT ALU

hi linuxluo,
i think i want to design a risc floating point architecture..now my question is how to go about framing the architecture??now that addition , subtraction , multiplication , division , square root are the operations that i want to perform..should my next type be choosing the type of adder & multiplier??

with regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back