Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

if thermal noise exists while no currents in resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvays

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, all

Will the thermal noise still exists or not?

Alvays

alvays said:

Yes, thermal noise is present irrespective of the current in or voltage on the resistor.
The thermal noise (power spectral density - i.e. power per Hz of frequency bandwidth) is given by: S=4kTR, so there is no current of voltage entering this formula.

Some other noise mechanisms do depend on current, for example - generation-recombination noise, shot noise, etc.

A more interesting question is - does thermal noise affect the voltage noise on a capacitor? :)

timof said:
alvays said:

Yes, thermal noise is present irrespective of the current in or voltage on the resistor.
The thermal noise (power spectral density - i.e. power per Hz of frequency bandwidth) is given by: S=4kTR, so there is no current of voltage entering this formula.

Some other noise mechanisms do depend on current, for example - generation-recombination noise, shot noise, etc.

A more interesting question is - does thermal noise affect the voltage noise on a capacitor? :)

thanks.

I think the answer is yes if there is a resister in parallel with the capacitor. Though the integrated noise over the all bandwidth is determined by kT/C, but the instantaneous one, that is, the random noise should be there any time.

alvays

alvays said:
timof said:

thanks.

I think the answer is yes if there is a resister in parallel with the capacitor. Though the integrated noise over the all bandwidth is determined by kT/C, but the instantaneous one, that is, the random noise should be there any time.

alvays

Yes, you are right. The capacitor itself does not generate thermal noise, but it "accumulates" it form resistive components. If you connect a capacitor in parallel with resistor, and then disconnect - there will be a fixed voltage on a capacitor from resistor thermal noise, and for different samples this voltage will be different (random) - with kT/C total noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back