Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to choose correct footprint from the library?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobraikk

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all!

I use Orcad layout plus to design PCB.

I downloaded many footprint library files from here.

But there are so many different types in the library.
How to choose the right one?

For example, I will use OPA2695 from TI, how to choose the footprint from the existing library?

Can I find some hints from the datasheet PDF of the component?

Hope for your help!
Thanks a lot!

check for the package type in datasheet like SO8 or SOIC8 this will give you foorprint.
And to be doubly sure compare package detail and footprint dimensions.

cobraikk

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Yes, I found SO8 in the datasheet, but I can't find it in my ORCAD LAYOUT footprint library.

cobraikk said:
Yes, I found SO8 in the datasheet, but I can't find it in my ORCAD LAYOUT footprint library.
The 8-SOIC footprint is in the SOG library. Unfortunately, OrCAD's naming convention for footprints is based on linear dimensions, rather than common footprint names (e.g. SOIC, QFP, SSOP, etc). You'll need to compare the dimensions of the footprints with the datasheet of your IC and pick the right one. It's a pain - I know.

BTW, here's a good place to ask OrCAD-related questions: **broken link removed**

cobraikk

kender said:
cobraikk said:
The 8-SOIC footprint is in the SOG library. Unfortunately, OrCAD's naming convention for footprints is based on linear dimensions, rather than common footprint names (e.g. SOIC, QFP, SSOP, etc). You'll need to compare the dimensions of the footprints with the datasheet of your IC and pick the right one. It's a pain - I know.

BTW, here's a good place to ask OrCAD-related questions: **broken link removed**

Which software can make the schematic and converted to layout file with the common footprint name? (just like Orcad Capture and Orcad Layout Plus, but Orcad has a strange name list)

Hi cobraikk,

footprint naming has nothing to do with the softwares.
Footprint name is defined by the designer but there are some standards though which could be followed.
So it is totally upto you how you wwant to name your footprints and relate them to their respective schematic symbols.

cobraikk

yes i am not an expert in Orcad likeMr. kender but the question asked is I think was for not the Orcad but for PCB tools in general.

"Which software can make the schematic and converted to layout file with the common footprint name? (just like Orcad Capture and Orcad Layout Plus, but Orcad has a strange name list)
"

hxxp://www.pcbmatrix.com/Products/LPSoftware/LPCalculator/

Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back