Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

full custom layout design

Status
Not open for further replies.

s3034585

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
gds cif

Hi i am new to layout design. Thus can any one suggest me how should i learn about it. I have already started designing some layouts for some basic digital gates and flipflops using parametrized transistors given by the foundry.
But i want to know what how the variouos layers affect the layout and the significance of them on designing the layout. Apart from how to analyze the Paracitis drawn and then try to optimize the layout.

Sorry for asking two many questions

Thanks in Advance

Use the book ART OF ANALOG LAYOUT by Alan Hastings..
I teach Layout

You can get the book from

**broken link removed**

site is in russian language but you try and download the book.

its realy great book for layouts

Last edited by a moderator:

hi NitinSharma
are you into layout design, can you guid me a bit, as i am new to this area..
what shld be the best to gain knowledge about it..
Thanks in advance

Hi
Not exactly now but i have worked on layouts some time back.
if you are realy new to layouts, then i can suggets you the best technique as per my understanding.
Go through some basic book related to the fabrication technology.
understand the concepts and then try out the Stick Diagram approach for the layouts.
what happens is one can prepare a basic layout design in the form of stick diagramms and then extend these stick diagramms to real layouts.
go through the books "VLSI Design by Pucknell and Eshraghian" or some other basic books that describes these concepts.
Take basic digital circuits and create layouts from the stick diagrams.
once you get acuainted to the stick level diagrams proceed to the actual Layouts straightway.
i hope i am helpfull
if you have some other doubt do let me know of that.
take care

hi nitinsharma80
i tried downloading from this site

**broken link removed**
but it has only 4 parts and there were only 4 chapters in it...remaining chapters how do i download

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,

Please guide me how to d/l from this site:

h**p://kazus.ru/ebooks/books/eng/17/0/2.html

I saw 4 parts ... but have no clue

Thanks a lot!
AT

Why not to download it from here? :

I would honestly say that the good start would be to understand what each layer is used for and how the resulting geometry looks like.

The relationship between the drawing layer and recticle figure is important:
use ptype substract as an example:

drawing layer recticle clear or dark in recticle
nwell nwell clear
pwell (can generate from nwell) clear
island island dark
poly poly dark
pplus pplus clear
nplus nplus clear
contact contact clear
metal1 metal1 dark
pad pad dark

of course , nplus also can generate from pplus , and filed stop-implant use the
same recticle of nwell . nldd use the same recticle of nplus , pldd use the same
recticle of pplus . In middle step , you can adjust vt for an option etc .

Hi Klug,
for some reason, the link says "the link doesn't exist"
Thanks.

To start layout drawing, a better book is :
"IC Mask design : Essential Layout Tehniques"
It gives very detailled method for each steps.

When this easy book is read and understood, then :
"The art of analog layout"
is a good reference to learn advanced layout.

the art of analog layout is helpful
and use well
ploy to seprate substrate noise
guard ring to high frequency noise

hi every1
can ne1 tell me where i can find ic mask design book ...it is not available here.
however has it ,plz upload it

thnk u

Hi,

My personal experince ... reading not enough start doing ..some simple layout .... practice make perfect.. good luck

as a good layout designer, maybe you should also have knwoledge for the circuit. and know how the layout will affect the performance of the circuit design.

the books are good starter, but you need to practice more and understand more.

Go for the book of mixed signal desing by yanni .p.tsividis
manish

Practising ur layout with EDA tools just is better than reading only theory! Cadence virtuoso or Tanner L-edit (only for study)

If there is a pcell library, you can start with it right away and flatten the hierarchy. I am assuming that you are using Cadence_virtuoso.

The books suggested above are all okay. But try to get someone who has been through the drill to help you out and make an inverter and a basic gate first.

If there is no one available, then there must be some libraries, that you can look at and perhaps flatten. (Edit-> Hierarchy -> Flatten and check the box 'Flatten pcells')

is there any site we can download some layout design so that we can have some good example?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back