Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

encounter timing optdesign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnlee0329

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
encounter timing optdesign
Hi all,
Do you know how to use encouter optdesign to fix hold violation on in2reg path effectively when do postroute optimization? I have tried many time through modification setoptmode command and setclockdomains command, but it didn't work. It seems that optdesign only fixs hold violations on reg2reg path. when I run optdesign every time, it reports that: setClockDomains fromtype register totype register, no any other path, such as in2reg, reg2out......, is there any other setting for optdesign to fix hold violations on path in2reg? It's urgent.Thanks a lot.

just take care with in2reg hold time violations, to fix only real violations, some time is better to relax the set_input delay constraints in the sdc, because the tool can add a huge number of buffer to fix unreal violation.

Hi rca,

What do you mean by relaxing the set_input_delay? is it by reducing the delay or increasing the delay? can that be applied to set_output_delay also? Because I have problems with reg2out hold time violation. I tried to reduce the clock freq but didnt work.

Thanks in advance.

hairo

no you need to reduce the set_output_delay. This command define how much time is needed outside the chip., so if you reduce this value, you will provide more time for the path inside the chip.

Hi,

I reduced the set_output_delay value from 1.0 ns to 0.5 ns but still there is reg2out hold time violation at post-CTS stage (all reg2out paths, max violation is -0.7 ns). I don't know what else can I do. Do you have any suggestion? The clock period is 4.0 ns.

One more thing, after I run optdesign -postCTS -hold to optimize hold time, it creates setup time violation. So if we solve hold time violation, then we can proceed to route stage (don't cant post-cts setup time)? or we need to solve both hold and setup violation?

Thanks.

what was the violations before and after?

Before was -1.0 ns and after reducing the set_output_delay, hold violation reduced to -0.7 ns.

Thanks.

If you report the full path detail, you will see where the timing is used, and you could found if the set_output_delay is the responsible or not of your violation....

OK thank you. I got it solved after analyzing the full path.

Thanks again.

While you can fix input2reg hold violations at the block level, it is better to get the top level timing so you know your violations are real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back