Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SPI timing constraints

Qwerty112233

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does anyone know SPI timing constraints that comes from vendor - does that support all CPOL CPHA based 4 modes?

We heard back from vendor it does, but i am not sure how that works out. We plan to run ext clock at 62.5 mhz, ext refclk is 250 mhz, apb / pclk is 125 mhz.

Any help is much appreciated!

Hi,

most probably you want to connect some SPI devices to the bus. Each of these devices comes with a datasheet. In these datasheets the timing is specified.
If you design your SPI to match your connected devices you are safe.

Klaus

If i have IO pads related to SPI protocol..are we saying i should enquire about the other side of the IO pads and accordingly proceed with timing constraints?

Disclaimer - havent done this before - so i really dont know how to go about this. We do have vendor constraints but i really want to be sure i'm not missing something.

Hi,

Am I right that you desing an SPI_Master?

Motorla - I think - first used/developed SPI. As far as I know there is no continously updated SPI specification.
In opposite to I2C SPI has no specified frequencies, nor frequency limits. Thus my above recommendation to refer to the used SPI_slaves datasheets.

I designed SPI (master as well as slave) into PLDs. I did it just the straight forward (and also simple) way:
* 50% duty cycle SPI_clock
* outputting data at one SPI_clock_edge
* inputting data on the opposite clock edge

As SPI_Master I used DFFs at each SPI output (SS, SCK, MOSI) .. to get most perfect aligned edges.
And as SPI_slave I used SPI_clock to latch_in (DFF) MOSI .. as well as latch_out (DFF) MISO data.

Klaus

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back