Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DMA (Direct memory access)

Status
Not open for further replies.

amiraltaf221

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am studying DMA and I have questions regarding to DMA. Questions are listed below, everyone will be highly appreciated to answer them and help me to understand the working of DMA. If you find any question IP specific then kindly give its general answer.
Q1) When DMA is a flow controller, in which condition hardware handshaking interface will be used or software handshaking interface will be used for either source or destination peripherals?
Q2) Is the hardware handshaking interface also includes single and burst request signals along with request and acknowledge signals?
Q3) When source or destination peripheral is flow controller then why hardware handshaking interface is not supported?
Q4) When DMA is a flow controller (means DMA knows the block size and DMA should transfer the data using maximum possible bursts and where possible using single or early-terminated burst), then why do peripherals request for single or burst transactions?
Q5) For peripheral-to-memory, memory-to-peripheral and peripheral-to-peripheral single or multi-block transfers, if the peripheral is either source or destination then address to read from source and address to write on destination should be fixed throughout the single or multi-block transfer. Is this a correct statement?
Q6) I have confusions in DLR (DMA Line Router) that how it selects a set of service sources from a set of DMA compatible service sources? Then how the selected service sources are further used for hardware handshaking? Kindly refer me to any resource from which I can understand the working of DLR. And also refer some resources for priority Mux for handling hardware requests from DLR.

Hi,

A1) A quite general question. Thus my general answer: DMA usually is meant to reduce processing power (software) thus software handshaking should be avoided ... as much as possible. I think it can't be avoided totally.
It depends on details. Thus if you want a more detailed answer you need to give more detailed informations. Maybe an example. A picture / diagram / schematic is always a good idea...

A2) A3) A4) More details please. Picture...

A5) in a processor / microcontroller you may use pointers instead of fixed addresses

Klaus

Hi,

A1) A quite general question. Thus my general answer: DMA usually is meant to reduce processing power (software) thus software handshaking should be avoided ... as much as possible. I think it can't be avoided totally.
It depends on details. Thus if you want a more detailed answer you need to give more detailed information. Maybe an example. A picture / diagram / schematic is always a good idea...

A2) A3) A4) More details please. Picture...

A5) in a processor / micro-controller you may use pointers instead of fixed addresses

Klaus

I have been studying the DMA provided by Infineon in xmc-4100_xmc-4200 micro controller series. The link for this document is "https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infin...N.pdf?fileId=db3a30433afc7e3e013b3c44ccd35c20"

For my first question, I know why hardware and software handshaking is used but in what conditions, we need to use hardware or software handshaking when DMA is flow controller. Details on topic 5.2.4.3 "Handshaking with GPDMA as Flow Controller" of refered link given above

For my third question, I have studied that hardware handshaking is not supported when peripheral is a flow controller if this is depend on the specification of the IP then kindly give me the reason why hardware will not be supported? Details on topic 5.2.3 "Flow Controller and Transfer Type" of refered link given above

For my forth question, I have studied that when DMA is flow controller then it knows the DMA transfer size (block size). Then it will transfer the data using maximum possible burst length if the block size is multiple of burst length (unless software will not limit the burst length) and using single or early-terminated burst if block size is not multiple of burst length, so why there is a need for peripheral to request for single or burst transactions? Details on topic 5.2.4.3 "Handshaking with GPDMA as Flow Controller" of refered link given above

For my fifth question, according to my understanding, mostly peripherals have only one memory mapped register for Tx or Rx separately so for peripheral-to-memory, memory-to-peripheral and peripheral-to-peripheral single or multi-block transfers, if the peripheral is either source or destination then address to read from source and address to write on destination should be fixed throughout the single or multi-block transfer. Is this a correct statement if not then why?

For my sixth question, I have studied that in Infineon document that for hardware handshaking interface DLR (DMA Line Router) is responsible and I have almost understood how it is doing it but I want more clarity with its working. So can you please provide any document for it and also for priority muxing to handle these hardware requests in DMA. Details on topic 4.4 "DMA Line Router (DLR)" of refered link given above

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back