Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design & Verification in Big companies ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mynameis

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I'm a newbie so I'm sorry if this question was asked before, but in SoC companies in US or Western, the designer is the one verify their designs or they need another one create a testbench independently ?

Coz once when I interviewed with Samsung, they were suprised when heard that in my company we has a Verification Team working separately with Design Team. Just curious about other comps' organization ...

Thanks for any info ...

What do you mean by "working separately"?
Design and Verification they don't talk to each other?

Hi Ray,
I meant they code independently (follow standards stricly). Designer create ASIC IP, Verifier create Testbench IP independently, then they will work together when integrating 2 part ... And Verifiers specilized in Verification only, they hardly write code for Design & vice versa ...

Ofcouse they still can talk to each others :)

But it seems that in Samsung they have a different way ...

It a common design approach to have seperate teams working on the design and on the verification.

You don't even let them drink coffee together

But do ya think an engineer should know both designing & writing testbench for their own ? As for my comp, I've never written code for any design so I'm abit worry if the Verification Field I choose is good for my future ... ?

emm.. designer will also do their own verification, to ensure tht their design work... but not thoroughly..

verification team will do the rest... dirty job...

sp

Well If you like a big company environment and compartmentalizing yourself into just one role I guess that is okay. I like to be able to do both design and verification. A small to mid size company will require you to be flexible and wear many hats. I do think that an engineer should not be the final arbiter of his own work. We try to have verification done by engineers from other project and this keeps the observations objective.

Regards

dfullmer

It is common for a big company to have seperated teams.

it also depends on how big the design

It also depends on the resource, time and feasibility.

As far as i know, most big companies have their separated design and
verification teams. With increasing design size and complexity and shorter
time to market requirements, it is becoming a necessary, so both the team
could work more E&E-ly and work in parallel in some stage of the development cycle. And functional verification is recently evolving as a new discipline, with totally different knowledge base, mathodologies and tool sets.

James,

Thanks for your replies & experiences :)
Anyway, I 'll ask my boss for letting me designing something in next project :p

(I'm mynameis)

Almost all big design groups have seperate verification engineers.

95% of the companies have different teams for design and verification.....

The point is , thwy want the teams to concentrate on a single issue ....Like the design engineers do all the coding and other stuff,,,and the verification engineers ensure that this code is correct and try to find bugs in it ...

Still, companies expect that both the teams should know a little bit overview of the other teams....

Design verification is an art on its own right

Writing complex testbench that automate the test and try to exploit every signle possible input vector combination and are smart enough to analyse the response may not be that simple.

Often verification requires something like Specman, verisity of something more testbench oriented which requires different skills that writing good HDL that generates good gates

dfullmer said:
Well If you like a big company environment and compartmentalizing yourself into just one role I guess that is okay. I like to be able to do both design and verification. A small to mid size company will require you to be flexible and wear many hats. I do think that an engineer should not be the final arbiter of his own work. We try to have verification done by engineers from other project and this keeps the observations objective.

Regards

dfullmer
guys what is the diference between design & verification
could some one explain

Hi Osamah,
I guess you are a student ...

Ah, the different here is in Verification you write code like C, flexible, you can do as many calculators you want in just 1 clock, while as in Design everything have to follow hardware limits (work based on clocks, avalable ram, etc ...).

I hope this can help a little :)

Hi Osamah,

In Design you write HDL code for the hardware which you want to create.

And in verification you generate stimulus (i.e. different combination of inputs to your hardware) for your design and compare the o/p with your expected o/p.
By this way, you can make it sure wether your code is resembling a hardware properly or not.

let me know in case of more query.

Hi Bharath,
In that case , does layout generation come under designing or verification or testing ??

layout generation comes after verification.

its_thepip said:
Hi Bharath,
In that case , does layout generation come under designing or verification or testing ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back