Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

battereis in parrellel

Status
Not open for further replies.
grittinjames said:
hai idealy if two batteries of different potential is connect parrellel
which vtg will come to picture

If the batteries of different levels connected together, either of the batteries or both may get damaged as there is no current limiting reistance in between them.

why would you want to ? The reason why bateries are connected in parallel is to add up their individual current and these two must have same potential.

So i quite agree with sivakumar_tumma that connect two batteries of different potentials would eventually ruine the battery(s)

if the batteries of different levels connected together,

- u r indirectly making the potential difference between two points equal by connecting parallelly, but the batteries are of different vtg's..this will damage the two batteries.
- Practically this is not possible as ideal batterries will not appear.and also the connecting wires will have a low resistance.

i think iam clear. let me know if u have any doubt.

i think u will get the larger potential and the second battery will act as a load, i.e. will be charged

it will depend upon batteies power

(v1+v2)/2 will only work when both the batteries are having same power in means of volatge & current.

but when the volatge is different higher Ah battery will dominate the other and the net volatge will be given due to this battery, meanwhile other battery trying to charge will act as a load

let us try to imagine the current required to charge the load(as the second battery internal impedance is zero).
In this case the current will be huge nearly infinity. Hence both the batteries will go bad.

----Keshav

cherukukeshav said:
let us try to imagine the current required to charge the load(as the second battery internal impedance is zero).
In this case the current will be huge nearly infinity. Hence both the batteries will go bad.

----Keshav

Yes you are right. I have tried this using two different bench-top power supplies. One with 15V and other with 5V output. The 5V one blew out in no time!!! :D

cherukukeshav said:

----Keshav

that can be an assumption only
that not possible practically

ehsanelahimirza said:
that can be an assumption only
that not possible practically

That is what happens practically since no battery is ideal.
Only in ideal case the output voltage would be the one which higher voltage.

Hi friends,

This is an interesting question. Here is my view:

ideal batteries with different potential connected in parallel ~
The one with higher potential drives another one with infinite current (since no internal resistance)

non-ideal batteries with different potential connected in parallel ~
The one with higher potential drives another one with certain amount of current.

The reason for connecting batteries/power supplies in parallel is to increase the capability of providing load current. Actually, in application, there is an interface connecting them in parallel to avoid current flowing from the highest potential to the lower ones. Application includes power supplies connected in parallel for server (The system provides high current for the server. If one of them doesn't work, you could replace it without disturbing the operation of server. This is called hot-swap.)

Any comment is very welcome.
Thank you.

Will

If the batteries connected in parrellel, the voltage will always maintain the same but the current output will be go higher...

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

kengloong said:
If the batteries connected in parrellel, the voltage will always maintain the same but the current output will be go higher...

Please correct me if I'm wrong...
That will happen only if all the batteries have same voltage.

superposition theorem,,,,,,

Battery will just burn out due to the flow of infinite current(in case of ideal sources) trying to pump in a lot of current! So never try to connect them in parallel!

two batteries in parallel are not possible, and noting is also attched with them to which we can apply the voltage.

Re: batteries in parallel

This is a mathematical question of limits.

In the case of ideal batteries, with different voltages, the current is infinite.
But infinity never exists. We say that the current becomes exceedingly large when
the resistance becomes less and less. We never reach at the ideal resistance of 0 ohms. We tend to reach and check for the consequences. Even theoretically, 0 resistance is not possible.

You take two high quality batteries and the current is large as resistance is low.

Hope this helped.

This is not the practical case. It cannot be proved in lab, because all batteries in lab are nonideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.