Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

battereis in parrellel

Status
Not open for further replies.

grittinjames

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hai idealy if two batteries of different potential is connect parrellel
which vtg will come to picture

An ideal battery means it has zero internal resistance... if such batteries are connected in parallel the voltage across them will be the greater of the two voltages...if howver non ideal batteries are connected the voltage across them will have a different value...

if you try to solve this problem assuming non ideal batteries then apply that the resistances are zero you can arrive at the result...

i am sure that the voltage will not add up.....and can u explain ur view...how to solve that problem........

grittinjames,
For batteries with exactly the same potential Vi, the voltage will be Vi. For non-ideal batteries, the voltage will depend on the internal resistances. Calculate the voltage at the junction of the two internal resistances.
Regards,
Kral

For ideal batteries , the voltage ll be same .. but for non ideal it depends on internal resistance

ideal means i dosnt mean same vtg i mean internal resistance =0

venkat3271 said:
For ideal batteries , the voltage ll be same .. but for non ideal it depends on internal resistance

Basically short circuit will occur if they are ideal.
If not current limited by their series Res will flow. and terminal volatge will be that determined by simple volatege divider which we can find using superposition.

assume that there are two sources v1 and v2 both having internal resistances r. applying thevenins theorem we end up getting a n equivalent circuit consisting of a voltage source (v1+v2)/2 in series with a resistance of r/2. now putting the limit of r tending to zero. we get the result as the voltage being (v1+v2)/2. Thus by this logic the answer comes out that the voltage is the average of the two sources.

rohitppamde then i have a question. assume v1 is vtge is higher than v2. as per ur invention if we r connecting this two batteries in parrellel v1 voltage will get reduce . if there is no internal resistan were this voltage will get droped

grittinjames said:
ideal means i dosnt mean same vtg i mean internal resistance =0

venkat3271 said:

GrittenJames, internal resistance of a battery is called "Ri". An Ri of '0' or ideal, only exist in textbooks. In real life it doesn't exist. Re-read Kral's good response... :D

mr meridian , i know thwt it will exits only in books
it indicating we will get a theoretical explanation to my questian
plz get it for me

I think it will resoult in a infinite internal current flow.

It will give u battery voltage which is higher

Hi all,

-NEVER EVER connect batteries with different voltages in parallel.
-Never mix batteries different discharge levels or capacity (Ah rating).

The first case: parallel:

In the schematic, R1 is the internal resistance of Batt1 and R2 is the internal resistance of Batt2. If we connect these batteries in parallel a very large current will flow. How much current will flow between Batt1 and Batt2? First, the voltage difference of the two batteries is 3.6V. Assume that R1 and R2 summed together are 0.04Ohm. (Quite normal for fully charged AA sized Ni-Mh battery).
From Ohm law we can tell that there will flow a current of (7.4-3.6)/0.04= 90A. The wiring between the batteries will burn at once. And if the wiring is strong enough it might result in an explosion. And the voltage will be higher then that of the lowest battery voltage. But you don't want to know that.

Connecting batteries in parallel can be done. But always make sure that both batteries are at the same level.

For the series case: Mixing batteries with different capacities can lead to reverse charging of the cell with the lowest capacity. If the lower capacity battery is empty while the other one is not. The weaker cell will be reverse charged. Batteries don't like this condition. For Ni-Mh it will result in degeneration of the battery at once. For Li-Ion it can result in an explosion.

Regards, Inventor(y).

hey its absolutely impossible to connect 2 battery of diffrent potential..........
As potential across should be same

every one is telling not connect this two , or giving examples with internal resistance .

It's very bad and harmful for your batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.