Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Storage of ICs in the lab

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We usually order ICs little more then we need. For example if we need to solder one IC for a PCB then we normally order two or in some cases three ICs. As there are many ICs in PCB assembly, so we have always leftover ICs that we need to keep in the lab.

I am looking for vacuum packing machine that can pack and seal the ESD components with nitrogen filling or just do vacuum packing of antistatic bags.

Kindly give suggestions which vacuum packing machine can be considered to pack and seal the ESD components using antistatic bags.

For the small quantities you mention, anti-static flip-top boxes (~ 40mm x 40mm) with a conductive foam liner is probably most appropriate and you can stack and label them easily. I did some research a few years ago about operating ICs in a vacuum and manufacturers didn't recommend it so I would assume storing them that way is also a bad idea. Nitrogen at normal atmospheric pressure is a possibility but very expensive.

Brian.

Vacuum packs don't completely prevent diffusion of water vapour. I'd use hermetic sealed antistatic bags with dry agent as distributors do for IC shipping. At least antistatic zip bags with dry agent.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and example of storing ICs. I actually have seen somewhere that removes the air from the anti static and then seal air tight. I guess this called hermetic sealed anti static bag. Any suggestion how I can find such the device. I am sorry I don't even know the proper name of the device but I have seen it some years ago and used once.

I just use ESD zip-lock bags saved from incoming samples.
If I'm looking to preserve electrical abuse signatures I will
then put them in the freezer for later or much later. I do not
worry about moisture since everything I do goes into hermetic
packaging with gold plated leads. But wafers I just bag and
store in a file cabinet, figuring they'll bond up well enough
for lab uses (I do not handle "valued product").

Industrially, often non-shippable wafers are stored in
dessicators (silica gel, color-change). Also see file cabinets
with a nitrogen gauge-and-orifice feed used sometimes.

If you mean to store shippable product you will need to
use something that your flowed down spec mountain
says is legit, and have it on cal (what cal?) schedule like
other production equipment.

But for me "good enough" has been good enough.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back