Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[ASIC] More than 1 supply pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

maulin sheth

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

Why we require or why we insert more than 1 supply pins? What are the main reasons to do this?
In some ASIC Design, I saw the 10-15 Supply pins. So why we inserting more supply pins?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Maulin Sheth

To reduce the resisitivity, and then to reduce the IR drop...

if you have only one "source" (pad) for the current, the resistance to the "farest" cell is more important than if you have multiples pads around the chip.
Or the length between the power pad and all elements which need power is reduce, then the resistance is reduce and then U=R* I is reduce, which means the voltage drop is reduce, the electromigration is reduce.

The tool like Encounter SOC, or Encouter Power System, could show you a map or voltage drop.

here an example, with one power source and simulation of 10mA consume by the design, and you could see the power network, and the degradation.

Thank you very much.I got it.
Can you please share me some documents if it is possible?

Thanks.

Regards,
Maulin Sheth

Please Can you explain me in detail The tool like Encounter SOC, or Encouter Power System, could show you a map or voltage drop ?

the voltage map shown, was done with the preliminary Rail Estimation in SOC encounter.
the document is well enough to explain how to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back