Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ASIC Field testing

kaz1

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

We are planning to move from FPGA to purchase ASIC based ready solutions(s), that is after 12 years of FPGA focused design.
This is for 5G radio baseband processing. It seems it is the result of oRan standardisation...
Just wondered what would be the role of FPGA engineers then.
I guess there would be several test points. But just wondered if I also expect simulation plans/models or just hardware tests?

Thanks for any input.

FPGA engineers can contribute by developing simulation plans and models to verify the ASIC designs before fabrication.

FPGA engineers can contribute by developing simulation plans and models to verify the ASIC designs before fabrication.
I meant ready made ASIC based system bought from supplier after fabrication. So we have no control over any logic but I expect such ASICs will be delivered with test points at least. I just wonder what do fabricated ready asic suppliers deliver as package.

Insuch a case, there are post fabrication tests to be performed on the ASIC.
The test-patterns generated by ATPG tool can be fed in to such ASICs and the outputs need to be observed.
If that passes, basic bring-up test using firmware can also be done.

• The FPGA designers might be able to help on board development, firmware, and so on.
  • You mentioned models, there might be a field for that too. For example write a SystemC (or something similar) model of the board and the other components. This can be quite helpful for firmware development
  • Another thing, that might make sense, would be to have a FPGA based test board for your product. For example, you can have some expansion port where you connect your FPGA board and run patterns to make sure it is up to your requirerments, perhaps model new environments, prototype new ideas

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back