Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to measure input/output return loss of a mixer using VNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

baltoudi

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
mixer measurement using 3 mixer

currently I am doing 5-GHz mixer measurement for its return loss using 2-network analyzer. Since this measurments must be taken in the dynamic conditions, then I am in doubt if pumping the LO signal to the mixer while RF and IF ports are respectively connected to port-1 and 2 of VNA will destroy the 2-port VNA. Anyone has comments how to do it correctly ?

using vna & sig gen to measure mixer

See the picture of the setup measurement.

Bye

return loss in mixer

My friend and colleague marcomdd showed a good method to measure in dynamic mode the reflection coefficent.
My experience with mixers measurements is the following:
1) generally the Network analyzers can accept relatively high power without demage, at least 100 mW for SNA and more for VNA.
2) If you have a VNA, because it's tuned, you may measure directly the sii at the R port and I port. The tuned circuitry cut away the interference caused by LO leakege.
3) you may measure sii at L port if the out power of VNA is strong enough.
4) Of course close any unused port into matched load.
5) more difficult is the measurement of sij , read Agilent AN's and PN's

ussing the vna

i need to know as well when u measured Sii at R and I port using VNA, did u pump the mixer with LO signal @ L port too or connect only with a 50 ohm termination ? because I did not pump it with LO signal generator, but with a 50 ohm termination @ L port, resulting a very very bad return loss (RF power injected=-20 to 0 dBm) ! which one is correct?

return loss measurement using vna

Baltoudi , here is doubt what you said above , it's just how to pump it with a 50ohm termination , but not connect SG? i need your help.

lo port termination

baltoudi said:
i need to know as well when u measured Sii at R and I port using VNA, did u pump the mixer with LO signal @ L port too or connect only with a 50 ohm termination ? because I did not pump it with LO signal generator, but with a 50 ohm termination @ L port, resulting a very very bad return loss (RF power injected=-20 to 0 dBm) ! which one is correct?

You must pump the LO port !

Re: How to measure input/output return loss of a mixer using

xinxin said:
Baltoudi , here is doubt what you said above , it's just how to pump it with a 50ohm termination , but not connect SG? i need your help.

What do you mean?

But 50 ohm termination is for?

When you have to measure the RL at the LO port you must pump the LO port.

Usually a VNA is not able to provide the right power level , so it is better to use a measurement setup equal to the picture above.

marcomdd, you mean in order to measure all return loss for R, L, and I port in the dynamic mode using VNA, the mixer must be pumped with an external LO signal generator at L port, right ?

The reason why i insist on using VNA (rather than SA) is that the VNA measurements can save more time when sweeping towards frequency and power level and give relatively more accurate results.

baltoudi said:
marcomdd, you mean in order to measure all return loss for R, L, and I port in the dynamic mode using VNA, the mixer must be pumped with an external LO signal generator at L port, right ?

Right !
For RF and IF ports RL measurements you may use the VNA.

But, I don't think your VNA may pump the LO port with the right power. So, for the LO RL measurement only it is better to use the SA setup.

Drive the L port with appropriate power level during the measurements of R & I ports!
Typical values for L power are +10 dBm.
Of course use CW signal, and prefere a spurious "clean" generator. Harmonics are not important, since they are generated in any manner inside the mixer.
If you want measure sii at L port, check, with a power meter, if your VNA is able to deliver enough power, some agilent 872x and Anritsu 37xxx can do it. Then, close the other 2 port into matched load and

A little suggestion. When measure sii at R & I ports, be sure that the generator is well matched, or place a ferrite isolator or an attenuator across the L port.

Enjoy with the measurement rather than chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back