Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to calculate coupling strength from a VNA?

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a VNA (M980x) which I have used to calculate the S-parameters at many different frequencies for a resonator. As such, I have \[S_{11}\], \[S_{12}\], \[S_{21}\] and \[S_{22}\] data, and I would like to calculate the coupling strength at each port for a certain resonance mode. However, due to impedance mismatch, only \[S_{12}\] and \[S_{21}\] match up, as expected. However, \[S_{11}\], \[S_{21}\] and \[S_{22}\] and all have different resonant frequencies.

I was using
ki=S212/(1−Sii2−S212)​
\[k_i = S^2_{21}/(1-S^2_{ii} - S^2_{21})\] to calculate the coupling at the
h​
\[i^{th}\] port, however, this gives me nonsensical couplings (negative, no trend), primarily due to the fact that I do not which peak I should choose. Both the \[S_{21}\] and \[S_{ii}\] resonant frequencies give me nonsensical couplings.

I could not find an equation that takes impedance mismatch into account either. Am I missing something obvious? Even the formula above was used in a thesis without any citation.
--- Updated ---

I am sorry, I don't know how to fix the LaTeX here.

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back