Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gate level implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkarthik1

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i want to know if there is a way to find out the total no. of transistors in say a 16-bit Wallace-Tree multiplier or a Carry-Save Multiplier? say an algorithm that can give me the no. of transistors for any n-bit multiplier.. adder.. so on.. i cant think of any method without going right down to the basics.. which is too cumbersome..

Suggestion:
Use synopsys "Design ware" to implement a multiplier.
Report area--> Get the answer!

(Note: The area report has different unit scale, it depend on lib.
Maybe um2, gate, cell...)

I am using design compiler to do this work. Generally, it is a matter of tools, not algorithms.

Both Wallace-Tree multiplier and Carry-Save Multiplier have regular structure, so you can easily caluculate the numbers of basic module (full-adder, half-adder, AND). Check the transistor numbers of each module in your lib and get the total.

Try to get netlist from diff Syn tools , and then compare results

i read somewhere that the total number of devices in a n bit multiplier is n*n-1*gate count of 1 full adder * no.of devices per gate
hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back