Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12vdc to 320vdc boost converter simulation is working but not physical implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yohan99

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!
I am a final-year engineering student. For my final year project, I am supposed to design and implement a transformerless inverter with 230V output,50Hz, and 1KW power. My plan is to boost 12vdc into 320vdc via a boost converter and convert 320vdc into 230vac via an h bridge with 4 MOSFETs. I got a working simulation for the boost converter, but its physical implementation does not work. 4.2mF and 1mF capacitors are 50v rated. For inductors, I am using radial power inductors. For the 12V supply currently, I am using a general power supply at the campus lab.
Two PWM signals with 20kHz are given to two MOSFETs. Currently, I am trying to get PWM signals from the signal generator in the lab. (but I am planning to use a PWM generator (pulse generator link ) )
I attached a screenshot of the circuit diagram of the boost converter. I searched on the internet for a better solution but unfortunately, there were no better solutions. Therefore I am looking for help from an expert on this issue.
Thank you

Datasheets links:

IRF510

Attachments

• Screenshot (680).png
    Screenshot (680).png
    139.3 KB · Views: 128

You notice that you didn't report how the circuit "does not work"?

How can the circuit produce 320V with 100V MOSFETs and 50V capacitors?
Without suitable load and a voltage control loop, the output voltage rises until the transistor breaks down.

You notice that you didn't report how the circuit "does not work"?

How can the circuit produce 320V with 100V MOSFETs and 50V capacitors?
Without suitable load and a voltage control loop, the output voltage rises until the transistor breaks down.
Thank you for your reply.
I tried with IRF740 MOSFET which is 400V rated. But the circuit didn't work as expected, only the first MOSFET get heated (not burned) and the voltage readings of the last capacitor was around 30V.
I will find capacitors with higher rated voltage and try the circuit again.
Is it okay to use radial inductors, I found mixed reasons about using radial inductors but I am not sure. If you have any idea about that please reply to me. It will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back