Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why you shouldn't pass power lines through capacitors and resistors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

road_0506

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In analog layout design, is it prohibited to pass power lines trough capacitors and resistors? Why?

Re: POWER LINES

In analog layout design, is it prohibited to pass power lines trough capacitors and resistors? Why?

When you route over capacitors you are creating a metal 2 metal capacitor. We generally avoid this as much as possible especially when routing sensitive nets. Im not sure why resistors would be a problem, most power lines would be draw using metal 3 or 4 thus keeping away from poly and metal 1.

POWER LINES

I think that it is actually due to the EMI and the thermal issues, we should not route VDD lines over resistors and capacitors. Remember that they are very sensitive to temperature and to any other Interference.

POWER LINES

In fact, I put the power line through resistors which are bandgap's resistors, and the silicon results are OK. I think that is not a critical issue because you could use top metal as power line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back