Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why output frequency is wandering in RC Oscillator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitbhaiji

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Wander in RC Oscillator.

Hi, I am designing a RC Based oscillator with the ocillation frequency of 1.5Mhz. problem which i am seeing with this circit is that its ouput frequency is wandering by about 150Hz around the center frequency ( Ouptput frequency variation is very slow with respect to time. Can any one suggest me the reason for the same.
and how can i reduce it.

Amit

Re: Wander in RC Oscillator.

Hi,

What net frequency are they using in your country ?? if its 60 Hz then the frequency change could be 120 Hz... What R are you using in your RC osc ??..

try to reduce the R if its larger than 50K.. it is possible that your power supply is not clean and that a small signal of 120 Hz is there... try to power your device by batt and see the result .

regards,

Paul.

oops! Sorry i forget to mention that nearly same wander i am obtaining with my transistor level simulation. So as you predected that the coupling
is not the cause of this drift.
Thsi design is just like the 3 stage ring oscillator with inverter being replaced by the comparator whose other input is from the bandgap refernce source... What i am predicting is " That the upconversion of the flicker noise of bandgap is major contributor towards this drift"
what you feel

Amit

Wander in RC Oscillator.

I have also been puzzled by the OSC design,does anybody have some good material about that?

For increasing stability you can use instead of RC circuit a quartz resonator that have narrow resonant characteristic

Can you show us the the circuit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back