Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Who usually does IC layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiplash

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am a senior PCB Designer and am wondering who typically performs IC layout? Is it usually the EE? Are there ICs being layed out by PCB Designers? Are the skills of a PCB Designer transferable? sufficient?

If a PCB Designer is interested in IC design, what will he need to improve his knowledge of?

Thank you.

Re: Who does IC layout?

The persons that have Electronics or artist can do IC Layout. So if you are doing PCB layout and want to do IC layout, it's easy.

what would you say a PCB Designer needs to brush up on? What books would provide a good tutorial for IC design?

"Digital Integrated Circuits A Design Perspective" - Jan M.Rabaey is a good book.

Also, "CMOS Circuit Design Layout and Simulation" - Baker, Li, Boyce is a great book about VLSI analog design.

Best regards!

hi,
Layout can be done by any person who has a basic knowledge of what layers constitute a transistors.Though many books r available reading books like
PRINCIPLES OF CMOS VLSI DESIGN by Neil .H Weste and Eshranghian ,Jan .M Rabey provides useful back groung.For practise free Tanner tools are available .
Regards,
Roy

whiplash

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Who does IC layout?

I do not know Saint's book.

I would recommend you to read Alan Hasting's "The Art of Analog Layout".

Probably you'll find Baker-Boyce one more design oriented for what you need...

I just want to say...Desiging a layout is not just like painting brush....
And surely it's woudn't be that much easier...who...can design..just by knowing the transitor layers....

It includes...lot's of issues....and also...proccess aspects...
I am not saying to anyone...just clearing...that..its not that much easy as you see...

Because I am teling this as a responsible Layout enginer...with 3 years experience...and participated in lot's of issues...

And coming to the topic...It's better to refer "Art of Analog Layout" By alan hastigns...We people call it as Bible for the Layout...:)

If I hurts anybody by my statements...I am really sorry...I am not mean to do that...

whiplash said:
Has anyone read or would anyone recommend: IC Layout Basics by Christopher Saint and Judy Saint?

https://www.amazon.ca/IC-Layout-Bas...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210681337&sr=8-1

2 very good books. For a transition from PCB I would recommend the IC Layout Basics. As for IC Mask Design, I know 3 people(from digital layout world) aside myself that used this book to sharpen their knowledge on Analog layout. Very easy to read, layout oriented(more analog), pertinent & helpful info.....Note that they are over 6 years old, therefore there is a few new "process related" layout tricks in todays world.

Good luck.

Who does IC layout?

The Book by Saint is good for beginners. it is also written with some funny jokes.

The book by Hastings is the bible and a good reference.

hi,
you can also read Ic Layout By danclein to get good idea of layers.
regards,
Roy

I think you can IC layout after basci training. There are some people who works in accounting changed into IC layout.

it will depend on what type of IC or discrete component that you what to design!^^
check this books:

1. CMOS IC Layout : Concepts, Methodologies, and Tools
by Dan Clein
2. Art of Analog Layout, The (2nd Edition)
by Alan Hastings
3. Analysis and Design of Analog Integrated C
by Paul R. Gray

regards to your NEW IDEA'S
randell_xtian

Who does IC layout?

Thank you all for you information. I will start by reading the IC Layout Basics book and then will probably purchase the "bible". :D

I would say it depends a lot on what do you want to layout. Digital is generally easier than analog, low speed is WAY easier than high speed, and the size of tech you are designing for (try 45nm, its VERY diferent from 350nm). The idea in layout, at least to be a good layout engeneer is to really understand what the circuit does, how it does it, important signals and manufacturing process. If you understand that, you will know what you are doing when you layout a high speed analog circuit as well as a slow speed matching critical device.
But all in all, I think if you do PCB design, you should have a good base to build from..

Who does IC layout?

A lot of the skills are transferable. A number of things that you would pay attention to in PCB layout like floorplanning, EMI mitigation, isolation, current, heat... These things also matter in IC layout. The only difference in IC layout is that you would layout the devices too since these are manufactured during processing. I suppose you could argue that if you did PCB layout for RF type designs, you kinda layout devices too.

It's all good and transferable.

Who does IC layout?

A lot of the skills are transferable. A number of things that you would pay attention to in PCB layout like floorplanning, EMI mitigation, isolation, current, heat... These things also matter in IC layout. The only difference in IC layout is that you would layout the devices too since these are manufactured during processing. I suppose you could argue that if you did PCB layout for RF type designs, you kinda layout devices too.

It's all good and transferable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back