Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which microcontroller has better support PIC or AVR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leilarazavi2000

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi every body

I can program the 8051 well.

now , if I want to work with new microcontroller , I must choose avr or pic?

which one have a better free tools and support?

and which one is stronger?

avrfreaks iar guide newbie

AVR is much faster than PIC.
AVR runs a full clock speed so a 16 MHz AVR performs almost 16 MIPS.
PICs divide the clock by 4, so a 20 MHz PIC performs under 5 MIPS.
C compilers for AVR produces normally more compact code than PIC C compilers, because the AVR arcitecture is designed specially to work well with C compilers. In fact the compiler company www.IAR.com was involved in the devlopment of the AVR family.
Here's a comparison of the AVR and PIC:
https://www.dontronics.com/auto.html

**broken link removed**

avr vs. pic comparison

tnx Me

you are a good friend.

and how about basic compiler?

eboard avr

avr programmers are cheaper than PICs!!! their chips are cheaper too! try to learn assembly as it is easy!

pic16f628 prod_documents/asm

Yea, to use avr is more comfortable than pics but there is a real problem.Microchip distributes their products to everywhere but avr does not.For example i couldn't find avr in my country.(Europe) and if you have any problem about pi, just ask to microchip.They will answer it immediately.I requested samples from avr and they never send them! So, everything is not related with MIPS or compilers :) Technical support and accesibility is also important.

Analyzer.

avr versus pic speed

avr is better but not the best .
try mitsubishi M32c (flash around 300 kb
and ram 32? kb ) The one restriction flash
rewriting no more than 100 times . that is make rela restriction for laboratory tests .

which is faster pic or attiny

Analyzer said:
Yea, to use avr is more comfortable than pics but there is a real problem.Microchip distributes their products to everywhere but avr does not. For example i couldn't find avr in my country.(Europe)

Which country?
You can get AVRs from www.farnell.com they are represented in most European countries.

leilarazavi2000 said:
tnx Me

you are a good friend.

and how about basic compiler?

I don't know anything about basic. I would recommend to use C instead.

ressource assembler avr attiny 13

AVR is produced by Atmel, which is distributed in europe for example by EBV Elektronik: www.ebv.com

Regards. Paolo

avr pic comparison

Ok I choose AVR

there are a several place for pic course on internet

Do you know where can I found avr-course on internet?

(to start avr)

tnx

8051 avr pic compare

I think that choosing a MCU is not easy...there are several MCU producer which similar products.
If you compare PIC with AVR, certainly you can find AVR faster.

But if you need to design a project for large volume production where you don't need fast MCU, you can consider Holtek MCU very very interesting.
Consider that the smallest Holtek MCU costs less than 50 eurocents (RISC, 18 pin, 1Kword OTP-ROM, 64byte RAM): the smaller PIC12C508 costs 65 eurocents, and AVR1200 costs 1.20 eurocents (but is faster and is FLASH), so for small devices in mass production you can achieve large cost saving. Holtek MCU are slow as Microchip ones... 4MHz=1MIPS.
These are the MCU costs in Italy...

About development tools, Holtek provide very fast programmer (blank check+program+verify+lock in less than 2seconds) for the entire family at 70 euro, an IDE environment with quite-optimized C/ASM compiler and source level debugging, and low cost real-time InCircuit Emulator (about 270 euro).

I'm using holtek micros very often, and here in Italy many industries are converting old projects using other microcontroller (expecially microchip and philips LPC) to Holtek MCU.

Regards. Paolo

16f628a and attiny2313

You could consider to use the Texas MSP430 uC family. This uC family is quite new, has really good characteristics and has a lot of documentation. The assembler compiler is for free and you can download the gnu compiler for these small microcontrollers if you want to develop using C.

http://mspgcc.sourceforge.net/
Katos

pic or avr which is faster

Hi,

Just to vote for PIC.... you always speak about their PIC16xxx. Don't forget that the new PIC18 is much faster and with more FLASH. For 5$ you can get 32Kb FLASH and 1000 bytes RAM and 10 MIPS....

Anyway, my oppinion is that the best processor for small volumes is this processor, that you know. If you know PIC - it's PIC, if you know AVR or Texas... the AVR and Texas... The time for switching from one processor to other is not days, but sometimes months.

For sure in Bulgaria is much more easier to get PIC, then AVR. You can get the whole family PIC in the store, for AVR you have to make orders, to wait.... I'm not against PIC or AVR - all they have their places.

regards
Luben

pic or avr

leilarazavi2000 said:
Ok I choose AVR

there are a several place for pic course on internet

Do you know where can I found avr-course on internet?

(to start avr)

tnx

The best place to start with AVR on the net is www.avrfreaks.com
Lot's of articles, guides, tests and userforum.
You have to register for free to get access to all the articles. Just like here at Elektroda.

pic avr comaprison

I believe that you are forgething a small thing. On middle range mcu, AVR is faster never the less PIC as build in hardware, most with interrupts that allow you to free the mcu core. Whit AVR you have to do everything with software (extra developing time). If you select PIC and want more speed you can use SCENIX mcu (www.ubicom.com), instrution set is equal to PIC and work at 50/75/100 mips. And i think that Parallax has a basic compiler for it. I personaly use PIC whith ccs compiler.

how to choose avr

Hi friends

tnx for your nice answer . but in my country, atmel avr is availabel .

Mr. ME tell me www.avrfreaks.com for avr toturial.

Is there any toturial?

tnx

pic versus avr

Here's an interesting article from MICROPROCESSOR REPORT comparing the AVR with other 8-bit MCUs like 8051, 68XX and PIC:

Atmel AVR Brings RISC to 8-Bit World
Better Performance Than Other 8-Bit Chips With Same Low Cost
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/atmelavr.PDF

Some other interesting white papers about AVR:

AVR Enhanced RISC Benchmarks
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/DOC1292.PDF

The AVR Microcontroller and C Compiler Co-Design
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/COMPILER.pdf

avr32 roadmap

leilarazavi2000 said:
Hi friends

tnx for your nice answer . but in my country, atmel avr is availabel .

Mr. ME tell me www.avrfreaks.com for avr toturial.

Is there any toturial?

tnx

For which compiler/programming language?

attiny compiler in iar

please scroll up as you will see my post about learning avr assembly language.

Status
Not open for further replies.