Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which timer is better for industrial purpose?

Saeedk9574

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone
I have been working to create a device for industrial purpose. I need to use a timer ic in it, but I do ot know which one is better. Does anybody know that I can use ds1307 in this device or it is not approprite for industrial devices as it is one of the chippest timers. In this regard, If you think ds1307 is not suitable, should I use ds3231 or pcf8563?

Hi,

please confirm: you are talking about external RTC chips.

If so, each of them thas it's own qualities. You have to determine which quality is important for you.
* cost
* size
* external part count and their cost
* accuracy
* supply voltage range
* current consumption
* data format
* interface
* access time
* internal NV memory
* watchdog
* alarm
* automatic battery switch over
* low battery (time information) failure detection
* and a lot more

No one of us can tell you what feature is more or less important for your application. It's your job.

Klaus

Hi,

please confirm: you are talking about external RTC chips.

If so, each of them thas it's own qualities. You have to determine which quality is important for you.
* cost
* size
* external part count and their cost
* accuracy
* supply voltage range
* current consumption
* data format
* interface
* access time
* internal NV memory
* watchdog
* alarm
* automatic battery switch over
* low battery (time information) failure detection
* and a lot more

No one of us can tell you what feature is more or less important for your application. It's your job.

Klaus
Defenitly, I will use an external RTC chip. I have used ds1307 for the prototype. It works well, but I am not sureDefinitely, I will use an external RTC chip. I have used ds1307 for the prototype. It works well, but I do not it can maintain its accuracy in long term or in severe temperature. it can maintain its accuracy in long term or in severe temperature.

Hi,

What a professional designer does:
* define temperature (range)
* define accuracy, as number
* using online selection tools (with the values above)
* reading datasheets
* reading application note / design notes on how to maintain / improve accuracy.

Klaus

These days not unusual to find an ARM general purpose processor with a RTC
peripheral in it......This family of SOC parts, has the below in it, and beside whats shown,
also has a RTC in it -

1699526416685.png

Whats shown has multiple copies of these resources in it in many cases....

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back