Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the IC designer's future? Always designing or other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wkong_zhu

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
is ic design career has a future

As the years passed, the brain is not as good as before, If always designning, what's the future of an IC designer?

is ic designer has a future 2009

i don't know actually . I still worry about what u said ! maybe everyone ought to select a job which he like to do and interested in doing! Science in our times is more diffult to grasp than before ! if we concentrate on one point of the whole science ! That is enough ! but a developer earn money very little that only meet some necessary living!

digital ic design career future

there are lot of stages in ic designing from system architect planning, rtl coding, synthesis, p&r and STA. not to mentioned verification is another huge area to be explore. there is lot of room for one's future in ic designing.

feel_on_on, I think you are right, Interest is important. I have many interests including science.

Re: What's the IC designer's future? Always designing or oth

In an IC designer's career, he may need to learn more than 3 languages, C/C++,
VHDL/Verilog/system_verilog, and couple of other EDA tools/languages, that very much limited a designer to expoit more his/her capability in other fields. Sigh!

I believe, in Nano ages, the technical barrier will getting higher and higher. But
the ability to manage a complex system design/engineering and get success should be more and more important !

IC designer must work writing code and verification of codes and do Analysis of coding special and new approach of getting better good design

study and continue to study a wide variety of topics: circuit design, signal processing, digital communications.

future will be system oriented, requiring engineer to know a wide variety of topics in a field (for example in microwave, filters, device physics, transistor level design, materials, communication theory).

must be more creative and always be learning. take courses in topics interesting to you while working. learn to think creatively, learn how you learn and learn how to learn. love what you do, find something you love and do that.

change is all around us and is constant, always learn variety of subjects.

Unfortunatelly, there are not to much time for learning in days full of time-to-market preasure. And new generations are coming each years, better equipped with knowledge for new abstraction level used in IC design, then us.
We could do 2 things:
- admit that we could not compete anymore, try to earn as much many as we could in last few years and early retire (you know what, it doesn't sound that bad)
- constantly learn with passion (try to do that in working time, not sacriface family time). Experience will be always important factor.
I don't think that our career will be ever that short like you play basketball in NBA, but it became more shorter and shorter.

Thank you all. I spend all day simulation, writing code and debug. I have interest in DSP, and Programing language, but I have no time in them, I use EDA tools all the time, simulation, debug, synthesis, formal check, place and route, STA. I feel I can't be creative in doing that.

andromeda,

You are right -- there is little time. But in today's globalized world you have to really love what you do and really have a passion for it or market forces will destroy you.
I do not agree with globalization but, what other option do we have? I think the careers will be shorter just like nba atheletes, baseball players, football/soccer players, since youth is what is needed - energy, ability to work hard and long hours -- once you hit 40 or older -- people will age discriminate you! so you have to move into management, do MBA or get out of the field altogether just like professional athletes do after 40-45!

also as field of semiconductors is maturing graduate degree is always necessary, even phD since most people have undergraduate!

I think ASIC engineers will be involved in software/OS/drivers designing or even DSP program developing. You know, we're in a SOC time.

engineers in this field don't design blocks or circuits anymore, we design complex systems which require knowledge in many areas.

this is the basis of "system on a chip" or "system in a package"

we design semiconductor systems and not semiconductor chips anymore.

we only can earn so little money! sigh~~~~~~~~~~

I am a new designer, I think my way is still long.

variety knowledge is neccessary for surviving in current IC career. cause complex system require this capability.

future is not bad just different.

synthesis will eventually come to analog since cmos below 0.5um scales the same and can be repeatable: models are all scalable.

next, more mathematics needed for signal processing and phase domain processing.

don't get mad, get busy!

as to me ,i can only try my best to do current project right now

oh, that's hard to image what our life will be,

perhaps you can by a little restaurant in the future,

after all, everyboy must eat something everyday.

wkong_zhu said:
As the years passed, the brain is not as good as before, If always designning, what's the future of an IC designer?

I'm tired of The advance of electronics and pc technology.future is diming,Wish All of us have good body!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back