Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the criteria for High Speed PCB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpyann

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
High Speed PCB

What criteria of printed circuit board can be classified as High Speed board?

Re: High Speed PCB

Wow, you really need to use the search feature in this exact section. This is an area of interest I have been persuing information on for a few months now and I found pages and pages of topics that were very helpful.

High Speed PCB

Hi,

Your query is been answered well in some forum,here underneath is the statement.

A circuit with frequencies in use whose wavelength approach a significant fraction of the interconnection dimension no longer can be designed without considering the wave propagation properties of the net lines. This usually becomes true with net line lengths above 1/10 of the wavelength for digital circuits. With analog circuits where signal integrity becomes an issue at a much smaller fraction the design rules for high speed circuit have to be observed at much lower frequencies. It thus always depends on the side effects not following the high speed design rules like signal integrity and EMI radiation which means that the border between conventional and high speed is not sharp.

In practical therms, synchronous digital circuits with clock frequencies above 100 MHz most probable should be designed with high speed rules, i.e. the lines have a defined uniform impedance, the routing is done in a daisy chain (no, or very short stubs only), at the end of the line is a terminator with a resistance equal to the line impedance. In some cases this design method can be helpful at e.g. 60 MHz also when EMI is a problem.

Hope this will help you to some extent.

Regards

Ramesh

- high speed PCB refers to pcb layout design at high speed
- it includes not only PCB layout work but also a lot of high speed design rules. at times need to perform signal integrity analysis.

- example of rules :
i) avoid crosstalk
ii) create differential traces
iii) avoid emi effects
- etc

as far as i know, high speed design mehtodology is used for boards using signals more than 100MHz. (correct me if i m wrong)

anyway there are a lot of post in this forum regarding high speed design... you can read there

PCB layout for today's electronic devices is classified as high speed design. Analyze signal trace as transmission line when its length is greater than one-sixth (actually one-tenth in most cases) of the Transition Electrical Length which is the signal rise time divided by propagation delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back