Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is ASIC and how does it differ from FPGA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: What is ASIC ?

Alwaleed2 said:
What is ASIC ? what diffrent between it and FPGA ?
can I program it at home , Is it easy to use and learn?

What is ASIC ?
Application Specific Integrated Circuit

what diffrent between it and FPGA ?

FPGA is prgramable deivce. we can erase lot of time and we can do more application on that. but in ASIC it is not porgamble and it is chip level.

can I program it at home , Is it easy to use and learn?
u can prgram upto HDL coding in ur home. fro the implemention we need lot of tool it is quite costly

It is methodology.

There is a very good book about it writted by smith

ASIC is application specific Integarted circuit.

FPGA: Feild programmable gate arrays..

Simple friend, Suppose u want to manufacture 1 million chips of some design.
then go for ASIC as the cost per manufctured will be less ..jus chk the markket for buyers.

But on the contrary for some design which is for a low or limited production FPGA's will prove cheap to manufacture..

Jus play bybthe market rules friend..

Conceptually speaking ASIC is collection of many Std cells or predefined and tested cells..

But FPGA 's have a some logic as there building block and interlink fuses based on the requirement and functionality..

Think this will do .

regards

hi
one more point..FPGA work only at lower clock speeds.but,ASIC works at high clock frequencies.

regards

What is ASIC ?

ASIC is the abbreviation of Application-Specific Integrated Circuits. It is designed by a fixed gaol.
compare to the FPGA,ASIC have the lower power, and the higher frequency, If your production shall be saled more than million , it is a good chioce.

arunragavan said:
yeah FPGAs are rewritable..yeah they are volitle..as explained similarly like RAM which looses its contence. i do understand they can be reprogrammed any times (SPLICE/SRAM method of programming)..ive the same question as alles gute..

how many times an FPGA be programmed?

like in number of times it can be reprogrammed. i guess this is what alles was askin..

with regards,
arun

like other reprogrammable devices such as microcontrollers ,... fpga's also have an endurance time to be programmed ,you can find it in their datasheet .typically the endurance time is above 10000 time reprogramming and clearing
:|

ASIC is Application Specific Integrated ckt. In that u can make ur design fully coustamized. U can read ASIC book by smith.

Added after 2 minutes:

Read this link
**broken link removed**

I know that our friend wrote more about ASIC and FPGA , I want to send a little about IC category
This document about FPGA , DSP , MCU , GPP and more (like ASIC )
On this doc you can find difference between these chips and which chip right for you project ,
This paper includes a feasibility report that examines the benefits of seven of the most
popular architectures (ASIC, ASSP, configurable, DSP, FPGA, MCU and RISC/GPP) in a
direct-comparison format using the following criteria:
• Time to Market
• Performance
• Price
• Development Ease
• Power
• Feature Flexibility

regards

u can refer to the book
application specific integreted circuits by
micahl john sebastian smith
it is available on
www.ebooklsclub.org

What is ASIC ?

ASIC ------It is full custom means we are starting from scratch.
FPGA.......It is part of Asic (SEMI CUSTOM).
Before we go for ASIC first we tested on FPGA.

ANMOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back