Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Virtuoso Layout misidentifies connections in schematic (NAND gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

giorgi3092

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am doing a layout of a NAND gate.

I built the following schematic:

1639484728253.png

The problem is with the NMOS pull-down network so here's a close up:

1639484769909.png

From this screenshot, it is clearly visible that the upper NMOS's and lower NMOS's bodies are connected together and it is connected to Vss (i.e. gnd).
Also note that the wire "internal" is the one connecting the source of upper NMOS and drain of the lower NMOS.

So, now let's go to the layout where I believe the mismatch occurs. I use "Generate from source" and all other default settings. Then I switch the transistor "bodytie" setting to detached to show the body clearly. Here it is:
1639485104699.png

The upper transistor is the upper NMOS and the lower transistor is the lower NMOS as in the schematic above.
Now, if we look at the upper NMOS and compare it with the schematic: in the schematic, the body is connected to Vss and source is connected to the "internal" wire. However, for some reason, in the layout as shown right here it shows that both body and source are connected to the "internal" wire. Can anyone explain what is going on?
And if I proceed with the layout like this I get DRC errors such as Psubstrate_connErrorMult, or something like this.

I expected that upper NMOS's body would show as connected to Vss instead of the "internal" wire. But, it's not the case....

What could be the problem?

Giorgi

Check the properties for a default connection (like
B = {source}) that might override schematic. Check
that you have not placed a 3-terminal NMOS symbol
(which would tend to attach B and S together)
where you really needed a 4-terminal symbol's
netlisting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back