Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

unity gain amplifier output higher than input?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiesteve

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In some corners of my DC simulation of a unity gain amplifier, I sometimes see the output being higher than the input. I thought that the output could never be higher, because DC gain is T0 = Av/(Av+1), which is always less than 1.... Why is this?

can u post ur simulation output and circuit.... i hope this might be due to feedthrough or coupling from other part of the circuit...

You need attach schematic of you amplifier and test bench. probably, amplifier is not stable

Here's a screen shots of the circuit and DC operating point. It is just a current mirror OTA driving an NMOS to form a voltage regulator. The input (inp) is 800mV
and the output is 802mV (inn).

Its not coupling because it's a DC sim.

You have noninverting amplifier with dc gain
(Rf/Rg + 1). Most likely, series resistance of source follower = 1/gm - Rf. And more large resistance to ground, that you not shown (or in real world Rg is finite). As a result you have gain more then 1

If the o/p is higher than the input in DC level only , then it is a systematic offset due to current mirror mismatch.

jiesteve

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks everybody. I've convinced myself that it is systematic offset.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back