Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transconductor frequency limitation on gm-c filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezbentley

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For op amp filters, the op amp itself must have a unity gain frequency much higher than the operating frequency of the op amp filter.

Is there a similar constraint on transconductor and gm-c filter? If so, how do I quantify the relationship?

For example, if I want to design a gm-c filter at 100MHz, what kind of frequency response is required for the transconductor?

Tolerance is not a major issue. My boss wants me to "try" to design one and see if it's any useful. No one at my work knows much about active filter. @@

The gm cell work in open loop, there is a difference from opamp in close loop. for gm cell, you should check the frequency response in filter level

ezbentley

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
If a gm cell works in open loop, then how is the bias of the input determined? From the way the gm cells are used in gm-c filters, it doesn't seem like the gm cells are internally bias.

ezbentley said:
If a gm cell works in open loop, then how is the bias of the input determined? From the way the gm cells are used in gm-c filters, it doesn't seem like the gm cells are internally bias.
You can build up a simple Gm-C integrator with a first order approximate Gm cell and then write its transfer function. Comparing with the ideal one, you will find the rule.

The bias of the input can be made to make sure that you can get a constant gm in a large input signal range.

I agreed with sixth's option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back