Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trace width for different PCB class dimension

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_owl

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am going to create a set of rules for different type of PCB class dimension in Altium. Can anyone tell me what are the width for the power and ground signals?

I have set the width of signals line to 4,5,6,8 and 10mils accordingly for PC-4, PC-5, PC-6, PC-8 and PC10.

Now I want to know is it power and ground line should be the same width with the signal line??

thanks.

Hi

Generally a power trace should have a lower impedance value So the thicker the trace the better it is..., also depending on the current capability the trace width changes for a power trace...say it carries a 15mA current a smaller power trace should do good...

Gnd is made where ever possible, doesnt need to be a trace..... unless ur guarding a signal trace....

usual gnd is a whole layer.
also power layer.

It depends whether u need a whole plane or trace , if u have large current to be supplied use a plane.

PCB Via Current | PCB Trace Width | Differential Pair Calculator | PCB Impedance
above toolkit will help in determinig current capacity of tracks etc.
Ground planes are almost a must for all digital designs these days, not just current, signal integrity and all that.
I'd also go metric, most components these days are, look for the 'universal PCB design grid' and 'The cad library of the future' Tom Hauser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back