Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

three gm equations, how to use them

Status
Not open for further replies.

surreyian

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

There are 3 gm equations that can be used

1/ gm=2Id/Vgs-Vth

2/ gm= sqrt(2k(W/L)Id)

3/ gm= k(W/L)(Vgs-Vth)

when do u know which equations to use to determine the gm?

Equation 1, if u have Id constant, gm will decrease with increasing vgs-vth. I can connect a common source with ideal current, increasing vgs will cause gm to decrease. Is that right?

Equation 3. what kind of circuits will use equation 3 to determine the gm. can u give me an example.

thanks

Hello
or the saturation region (which is the condition of the MOS amplifier circuits) gm = K'(W/L).(Vgs-Vth).......(1)

since vgs-vth=Overdrive voltage(Von) (at the edge of the saturation region).... Von=(2Id/K'.W/L)power0.5..........(2)

put 3 in 2 you get gm = (2.Id.(W/L).K')Power0.5...........(3)

it is usually easy to work with 3 as we know the current always in our design

Equation 1, if u have Id constant, gm will decrease with increasing vgs-vth. I can connect a common source with ideal current, increasing vgs will cause gm to decrease. Is that right?

Hi
Yes. For a constant Id, if you increase vgs-vth, then at the same time W/L will have to be reduced. Since both vgs-vth and W/L are varying, it will not be proper to use equation 3. Either eqn 1 or eqn 2 will lead to the same result.

Hi
Yes. For a constant Id, if you increase vgs-vth, then at the same time W/L will have to be reduced. Since both vgs-vth and W/L are varying, it will not be proper to use equation 3. Either eqn 1 or eqn 2 will lead to the same result.

thanks.
in what condition will equation 3 be used?

Hi
All the three equations are equally valid in all conditions. What equation is chosen depends on what is more 'convenient'. For example, if your common source stage had a resistive load (instead of current source), and again you ask the question what happens to gm as vgs-vth varies for a fixed W/L. Though you may use equation 1 and 2 to eventually arrive at the answer, eqn 3 is the easiest way to see that gm will increase linearly with respect to vgs-vth. I hope you get the point.

the only condition is that the transistor should be in the saturation region and this is a factor is only used for small signal condition

all of three equations are right. the different is the choice : which parameter is fixed, which parameter is variable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back