Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thorough and complete DRC rules for PCB Design and Manufacture

Status
Not open for further replies.

gigahertz

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Is anyone aware of a very thorough list of design rules published that goes above and beyond of what can typically be found under a list of fab capabilities?

Something like a huge list of what is typically checked, and with standard rules and "advanced capabilities" rules.

I have plenty for the typical line widths and air gaps but want to find something even more in depth such as:

- min dist of silk to bare copper

- hole edge to pcb edge clearance

- max hole size for soldermask plug via

- etc. (there are many many many more checks done)

A complete list would be very helpful to many. Even if a designer follows the "capabilities" of their particular chosen fabricator, there are still many possible DRC errors that can slip through. If anyone knows of such a list, please share. If such a list isn't in existence, I'd be interested in working with a few designers to come up with a ultimate list and share. Worldwide input welcome. Any units welcome too.

Have a great day

I think some of the minimum distance changes with time!!! As the fab process advance, the distance shrink!!! I don't think you have a minimum standard on a lot of them. The best is still ask the fab house. I fab some boards on ebay for dirt cheap, their requirement is way larger than the state of the art place, but you are going to have to pay more for that. For example, their minimum trace width is still 7mils!!! I have been doing 7mils over 25 or 30 years ago already. But I can get 5 2"X3" 2 layer for $50US!!!

Hello,

Is anyone aware of a very thorough list of design rules published that goes above and beyond of what can typically be found under a list of fab capabilities?

Something like a huge list of what is typically checked, and with standard rules and "advanced capabilities" rules.

I have plenty for the typical line widths and air gaps but want to find something even more in depth such as:

- min dist of silk to bare copper

- hole edge to pcb edge clearance

- max hole size for soldermask plug via

- etc. (there are many many many more checks done)

A complete list would be very helpful to many. Even if a designer follows the "capabilities" of their particular chosen fabricator, there are still many possible DRC errors that can slip through. If anyone knows of such a list, please share. If such a list isn't in existence, I'd be interested in working with a few designers to come up with a ultimate list and share. Worldwide input welcome. Any units welcome too.

Have a great day

Contact your PCB fabricator and ask them about their capability.
You can create your design rules based on this information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back